rascal
Some colloquialisms and or slang. Before I go into colloquialisms/slang I want to preface this entry by saying that these terms should not be used unless you understand the context 100%. Also, I hate slang, please read a dictionary…. Weirdo – Someone who has a weird like/passions. “John loves hates using slang, what a weirdo!” Australians like to add an extra letter in to existing words to make them more casual. Do not ask me why… Nutter – Someone who is crazy. A psychopath. “He punched the policeman, he’s such a nutter.” Sicko – Someone who likes to do odd/socially unacceptable things. Probably similar to “Gila” in Indonesian, but the actions of the person are either deliberate or learned behaviours. Not used for mental illness. Arvo – Afternoon, literally translatable as “Sore.” However, you cannot say “this arvo at 4pm,” use it to refer to the general period of the afternoon. So, “This arvo” “oh when” “4pm.” Junky – A drug addict. Often used as a derogatory term to offend someone “you look like a junky.” A bit of a…. – this is often said to lessen the term that comes afterwards. “He’s a bit of a weirdo/sicko/nutter/junky.” Think of it like “belum” and “tidak” one is definite one is not definite. What’s up/ sup – What are you doing at the moment / or how are you. Like “sedang apa?” or “lagi ngapain?” Hobo – Homeless persons. Again, derogatory in its use. Cool-cool – Usually said at the end of a discussion about plans/future events to which you agree upon. Totes – Short for totally. “You’re coming to the party right?” “Totes.” Use sparingly. Defs – Short for definitely. “I will defs be there tomorrow.” Again, use sparingly. Later – Used to end a phone conversation or as the last thing you might say to a friend/group of friends after you have announced you are leaving. “Ok guys I’m off. Later.” Peace – Also used as a goodbye. Stems from the former “Peace out.” “I have to go to work now I’ll see you latter” “Peace.” Awesome Sauce – Again a reply to affirm that you agree with some plan or course of action. “I’ll meet you at the movies at 9pm” “awesome sauce, I’ll see you then.” I actually enjoy this term because it is literally ridiculous and has nothing to do with “Soas.”
Lao sicko also means cool but I don't want to confuse our non Australian friends with our superior slang skills - AKA bastardisation of the english language....
Oh man that strine is totally sick! wheredzha get that lingo? wkwkwkwkwk For Wah wah wah in Chinese it is wu which approximates the sound of 5, so they write 55555, just as they write 88 since 8 ba approximates bye. I def wudnabe caught dead saying 'defs' or 'totes', that's for bluddy sure! Are you sure 'sicko' doesn't come from 'psycho'? Whatever happened to 'nerd' or maybe it's 'nerdo'? Me - I'm a totally antique techo nerd.
Weirdo/sicko/nutter = orang aneh a bit of a = agak/rada (followed by adjective) Cool-cool/awesome sauce, mungkin = sip!
menarik.. info bagus bung! :D
Wah wah wah – Mimics the sound of a baby crying but pronounced normally (Do not actually mimic a baby crying you will look bodoh). This is used on friends if they are being stubborn or belligerent. “I told you I don’t want to go out today I’m sick” “Oh, wah wah wah. Just come out you baby!” Nah – short for no. Usually followed by sorry “Nah sorry I can’t.” This is more polite than saying no. That’s all I can think of for now. I’ll add more later if anyone is interested.