Viola
Just another entry. I have been preparing to leave for china for these past couple of days for China next month. I am sorry if I haven't got the chance to talk to every one of you. But add me on Skype at iymimi from chicago IL USA or add me on facebook (facebook.com/iykagome) With that being said, the language partner I am most interested in is someone who into the same stuff as me, around my age (18-29 is fine), and have basic English down. So if you can understand this entry enough, then we are good. So I like anime, videogames, manga, cooking, food, dancing, kpop, and movies. So if you are into any of those stuff, please talk to me. I want a friend I can come meet in China so if you going to be or live in Jinan area, come find me. That where I am going to live. I wille ven fly to you once I get settled into my schedule at work. I can help you in English and you can help me in Chinese but first let be friends most importantly to make learning fun. =^.^= Anyway, I want to learn all Chinese, oral, written, and reading. Right now I want to learn written and oral together. Pinyin is something I rather stay away from but I will use it to learn the pronunciation. I want to learn the characters so I can navigate through China. So I do have some questions. When saying "Hi, How are you"? Do you say "Ni hao. Ni hao ma?" OR "Ni hao ma?" (你好。你好马?OR 你好吗) How to say "What is your name? My name is..." Is this correct? "Ni jiao shen me ming zi? Wo de ming zi shi Viola."
In informal conversations, 你好 is not frequently used. When meeting someone for the first time, you could use the phrase, but subsequently a "Hi/嗨" is the most common greeting (particularly among younger people) and that could be followed by a 你好马? In a more formal context, you could use either 你好 or 你好马? as a greeting. For older and more senior persons, try using 您(nín) instead of 你. When introducing yourself, a "我叫Viola (Wo jiao Viola)" followed by a 你呢?would suffice. Alternatively, 你叫什么名字?我叫Viola。Think of it like English though- when you say "Hi, I'm Viola", it'd be natural for the other person to respond with their name without needing an additional prompt. Good luck with the Mandarin!