Emanuele
English and Italian sayings I'd like to share with italian learners some interesting comparisons between English and Italian ways of saying and proverbs I have recently found. It's curious that both of them have the same sense but with different approaches indeed, anyway there are also many sayings that are literally almost the same in their own structures, i.e. this one very popular in Italy "A caval donato non si guarda in bocca" (Don't look a gift horse in the mouth) and others. Let's see these ones I most like (I won't translate the italian ones , it's up to you :) : - Il mattino ha l'oro in bocca --- The early bird catches the worm; - Non bagnarsi prima di piovere ---- Don't cross your bridges before you come to them; - È stata la goccia che ha fatto traboccare il vaso --- It was the last straw that broke the camel's back; - La notte porta consiglio --- The best advice is found on the pillow; - Meglio un uovo oggi che la gallina domani --- A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush; - Non sputare nel piatto in cui si mangia --- Don't bite the hand that feeds you (this is my favourite). funny, isn't it?
1

English and Italian Sayings

I'd like to share with Italian learners some interesting comparisons between some English and Italian adages and proverbs that I have recently found.

It's curious that both sayings have the same meaning, but their approach is very different. Moreover,  there are also many sayings that are literally almost identical in their own  structures, e.g.  this very popular Italian one: "A caval donato non si guarda in bocca" is matched by the English version: 'Don't look a gift horse in the mouth) and others.

Let's have a look at some of my favourites (I won't translate the Italian ones , that's up to you :) :

- Il mattino ha l'oro in bocca --- The early bird catches the worm;
- Non bagnarsi prima di piovere ---- Don't cross your bridges before you come to them;
- È stata la goccia che ha fatto traboccare il vaso --- It was the last straw that broke the camel's back;
- La notte porta consiglio --- The best advice is found on the pillow;
- Meglio un uovo oggi che la gallina domani --- A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush;
- Non sputare nel piatto in cui si mangia --- Don't bite the hand that feeds you (this is my favourite).

Interesting, isn't it?

Well done Emanuele - an interesting topic and very well written! 

thanks for sharing, Emanuele! I enjoyed reading it :)
Non bagnarsi prima di piovere ---- Don't cross your bridges before you come to them... An alternative proverb would be 'don't count your chickens before they're hatched' Non sputare nel piatto in cui si mangia' --- Don't bite the hand that feeds you (this is my favourite). I'm not sure that the Italian translates all that well into 'Don't bite the hand that feeds you'. I think the (rather crude) saying 'Don't s_h_i_t on your own doorstep' is a better match.