JSY
Today's diary I started to take private Swedish lessons a few weeks ago. My teacher came from Sweden and was studying Korean. We could be close each other quickly because we were of the same age. I liked her except for one thing. She was not a punctual person. I always observe the time and I think it's very important to be on time when we meet other people. Every time we met, she either was late or changed the time right before the meeting. I understood it at first. (even fourth times!!!!) But it was getting out of hand. Today, she even canceled our class while I was going to see her. She said she had final exams and she was too tired to teach. I said to her that she was not responsible and polite. She should've told it at least a day ahead. Then, I could understand her situation. I said I wanted to stop taking lessons and asked for a refund. She said it really hurt her feeling and I was too harsh on a student from another country. I was aghast to hear that she thought I was a bit strong to her. Is it okay not to be punctual in foreign country? What nonsense! Anyway I feel really sad for losing my friend and teacher.
1

Corrections are red

Suggestions are blue

Everything else is green

Today's diary

I started to take private Swedish lessons a few weeks ago.

My teacher came from Sweden and was studying Korean.

We could be grew close to each other quickly because we were of the same age.

I liked her except for one thing: She was not a punctual person.

I always observe the time and I think it's very important to be on time when we meet other people.

Every time we met, she was either was ("Either was" just doesn't sound as nice as "was either". But both are correct!) late or changed the time right before the meeting.

I understood it at first. (Even the fourth times!!!!) But it was getting out of hand.

Today, she even canceled our class while I was going to see her.

She said she had final exams and she was too tired to teach.

I said to her that she was not responsible or polite.

She should've told it ("said it" or "told me") at least a day ahead. Then, I could understand her situation.

I said I wanted to stop taking lessons and asked for a refund.

She said it really hurt her feeling and I was too harsh on a student from another country.

I was aghast to hear that she thought I was a bit strong to hard on her.

Is it okay not to be punctual in foreign countries? What nonsense!

Anyway I feel really sad for losing my friend and teacher.

It depends on the country, JSY. In the United States, it is not polite to be late. You should arrive at most places a few minutes early. If it is something like an interview, you should arrive fifteen or twenty minutes early. In most Latin countries, like those in South America, punctuality is not as important. People are often late for things. But it is not rude where they come from, and it doesn't come from a lack of thought for the other person. The entire culture is more relaxed about time. Most European countries, however, are very punctual. I think your former teacher wasn't being very thoughtful about the fact that you have a schedule too. If she had too much work to do, or too much studying to do, she would have known about it well before your lesson.

I totally agree with you JSY, that is inexcusable. I could understand if she was late once or maybe twice, but four times?! In my opinion, it would have been better if she had just been honest and said in advance that she has a lot of exams right now and needs a break from teaching. The fact that you were paying for her services means she should have been more responsible. I find this surprising actually, since most Swedish people are very punctual! :P I'm sure you'll find a better Swedish teacher without any problems. ^^
I knew why she was always late and understood it several times. She was not just late, she canceled the class right before it because she was tired. Enough is enough...I was tired because of waiting for her.
Everyone know that being late is not good, but it has been a habit in human's life. If the reason is logic, we should understand it. Eumh~ you can ask her reason first why she did it with more polite question. It's only my opinion..