Luigi
About Palermo v2.0 Thank you What do you expect from Palermo? Maybe exotic food? She is in the top 5 cities in the world for street-food. You can check for "stigghiola" and "pani ca meusa" in its two version with lemon or cheese. If this food is too dirty for you, i'm sure you are gonna like the "sfincione", the palermitan unique version of pizza. You can find it in all bakery, but only street vendors have the original "sfincionello". Palermo is also known for sweets. Depends by the season, in summer ice cream is the best of Sicily, not so much the "granita con brioche", they do it better in Catania and Messina. Otherwise you can taste the original and unique palermitan pastry tradition with little cannoli (cannolicchi) and little cassata (cassatina) or the "setteveli", for a true unforgettable chocolate explosion. Do not confuse "cassatina" with "cassatella", which is delicious fried cake common in Trapani area. You must eat it fresh made and pretty hot, thou. Btw you can find them in any good pastry shop. There are everywhere, but locals know the best ones :) Looking for monuments and history? Palermo has plenty of both. A good guidebook can tell you what and where, but, if i have to choose what not to lose i'd say the Martorana church. I'm incline to atheism and churches bore me, so you can trust. And if you want some thrill, the catacombs of Cappuccini order, with its thousands of mummies and skeletons that include a perfectly preserved little girl mummified one hundred years ago, is something you can not see elsewhere, if you really want to. I know, you loved Michael Corleone and now you want to have a look at some mafia style stuff. Then you have to look at what is not there anymore. They erected huge reinforced concrete buldings all over the midtown, above the green and where once rised art-nouveau beautiful mansions. They are all gone forever.
"They erected huge reinforced concrete buldings all over the midtown, above the green and where once rised art-nouveau beautiful mansions." Do you mean in Palermo?!?! Thanks for the aricle, I enjoyed it!