Kailin
What was China Faced with in 2008? Talking about the measures China took to cope with the 2008 financial crisis, we should first know how China suffered at that time. Globalization has connected nations in the world together, the side effect of which is that you can not prevent the infectious crisis even it didn't originate in your country. As one of the major trade and investment partners of US, China's trade and investment were the first to bear the brunt. Based on the report from Chinese Ministry of Commerce, China's import and export for the first three quarters in 2009 plummeted by 20.9% compared to last year, while the trade surplus dropped by 26%. In 2009, Foreign capital actually used in China dropped 14.3%, whereas China's net foreign investment abroad increased by 1.1% with financial investment dropping by 37.9%. China was suffering not only because of the global banking crisis, but also due to the series of domestic natural and man-made calamities happening at the same time. Snow damage, Tibet vandalism, Jiaoji railway accident, Wenchuan earthquake...2008 was never a quiet year. The Olympics glory could never blanket the agony and grief in that year. Faced with economic downturns, increased employment, what did China do to cope with it? Write about it in next essay. : ) Thank you for your corrections.

It is a comment, but for convenience I write here.

Let's review following sentence once more, "Foreign capital actually used in China dropped 14.3%, whereas China's net foreign investment abroad increased by 1.1% with financial investment dropping by 37.9%."

(comment 1) You mentioned three figures among six categories:

foreign financial investment (net inflow) ?

foreign non-financial investment (net inflow) ?

foreign investment (net inflow) -14.3%

foreign financial investment (net outflow) -37.9% [15%]

foreign non-financial investment (net outflow) +?% [85%]

foreign investment (net outflow) 1.1%

To avoid confusion, I think it is better to change some words as follows:

(1) Foreign capital - Foreign investment

(There are several kinds of investments in the capital account.)

(2) China's net foreign investment - China's foreign investment

(All the statistics are in net value.)

So, I rewrite the sentence as follows: "In 2009, foreign investment in China(/inflow) dropped by 14.3%, whereas China's foreign investment abord(/outflow) increased by 1.1% with financial investment dropped by 37.9%."

(comment 2) We can calculate the figure of "the foreign non-financial investment(net outflow)", can't we? The calculated result would be unreasonable one. Would you check the statistics?

What was China Faced with in 2008?

Talking about the measures China took to cope with the 2008 financial crisis, we should first know how(/how much ?) China suffered at that time.

Globalization has connected nations in the world together, the side effect of which globalization is that you can not prevent the infectious crisis even if it didn't originate in your country.

Globalization connected nations in the world together, and the side effect of globalization is that a country can not prevent the infectious crisis even if it didn't originate in the country itself.

As one of the major trade and investment partners of US, China's trade and investment were the first to bear the brunt.

As one of the major trade and investment partners of US, China was the first to bear the brunt in regard to the trade and investment.

Based on the report from(/According to the report of) Chinese Ministry of Commerce, China's import and export for the first three quarters in 2009 plummeted by 20.9% compared to last(/the previous) year, while the trade surplus dropped by 26%. In 2009, foreign capital investment actually used in China dropped by 14.3%, whereas China's net foreign investment abroad increased by 1.1% with financial investment dropping by 37.9%(?). 

China was suffered not only because of by the global banking crisis, but also due to the by a series of domestic natural and man-made calamities happened at the same time: snow damage, Tibet vandalism, Jiaoji railway accident, Wenchuan earthquake, etc. 2008 (/The year 2008) was never a quiet year. The Olympics glory could never blanket the agony and grief in that year.

Faced with economic downturns and increased unemployment, what did China do to cope with it? I'll
write about it in the next essay. : )

Thank you for your corrections.

I am not a native speaker in English, so let's wait more good corrections.