My Favorite French Singers (part 3) Nino Ferrer: He had a very varied career. He made pop music, but also rock and blues. Many of his hits were written in a nonsense and absurd style with a lot of humor and self-mockery. Some of his songs have very stupid lyrics but it’s very funny, like for example “The Pickles” or “Our Dearest Russia” which is an enumeration of Russian words and nouns. He also wrote more sad songs like “The Madureira Street” in which he tells he had a short love story with a Brazilian woman. He comes with her to the airport and the next day, he read in a newspaper her name among other names. We understand she died in a plane crash. Mirza is a song about a guy who’s looking for his dog which calls Mirza. It’s voluntarily very stupid but very funny at the same time. I love the instrumental: http://youtu.be/rwCDEQY97rw Léo Ferré: He was an anarchist singer who wrote a lot about anarchism. He had problems with censorship. For example with the song “C’est extra” which is a metaphorical song about sex. He used a very literary style in his songs which is not easy to understand even for a French person. He used a dense vocabulary, made metaphors and created complex visions. He sang poems too (Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Verlaine). Over time, his music became more radical. I’ve seen his grave in Monaco. It’s hard to find songs with English subs, however he’s considered as one of the greatest French singers with Brel or Brassens. He loved monkeys, he had a lot of chimpanzees but his wife killed them. My favorite song is “Poets, your papers!” but here is “The Anarchists”, a very powerful song: http://youtu.be/mPn4vAOv0Xo On the picture: Brel, Ferré and Brassens on the radio.
2

My Favorite French Singers (part 3)

Nino Ferrer: He had a very varied career. <em> (You could even say "a very colorful career".)</em>

He made pop music, but also rock and blues. Many of his hits were written in a nonsensical and absurd style with a lot of humor and self-mockery. Some of his songs have very stupid lyrics but they're very funny, like for example “The Pickles” or “Our Dearest Russia” which is an enumeration of Russian words and nouns. He also wrote more sad songs like “The Madureira Street” in which he sings about tells he had a his short love story with a Brazilian woman. He goes comes with her to the airport and the next day, he read her name in a newspaper her name on a list of among other names. We understand she died in a plane crash.  <em>(Excellent!  He's going in the direction of the airport, a place away from him where he stands, rather than coming up to it.)</em>
Mirza is a song about a guy who’s looking for his dog which he calls Mirza. It’s admittedly voluntarily very stupid but very funny at the same time.<em> (Do you mean "admittedly" - you admit it's stupid but you like it anyway?)</em> I love the instrumental: http://youtu.be/rwCDEQY97rw
<em>(I love "Mirza"!!  The video is funny too!)</em>
Léo Ferré: He was a an anarchist singer who wrote a lot about anarchism.  <em>(I'd just say "a singer...")</em> He had problems with censorship. An For example is with the song “C’est extra” which is a metaphorical song about sex. He used a very literary style in his songs which is not easy to understand even for a French person. He used a dense vocabulary, made metaphors and created complex visions. He sang songs based on poems, too (Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Verlaine). Over time, his music became more radical. I’ve seen his grave in Monaco.
It’s hard to find songs with English subs; however, he’s considered as one of the greatest French-language singers with Brel or Brassens.  <em>(I'll use "French-language" since Brel is Belgian.)</em> 
He loved monkeys.  He had a lot of chimpanzees but his wife killed them.

My favorite song is “Poets, your papers!” but here is “The Anarchists”, a very powerful song: http://youtu.be/mPn4vAOv0Xo

In the picture: Brel, Ferré and Brassens on the radio.

<em>Superbe, Clementine!  What an interesting and grammatically complex entry!</em>