Translation practice Chinese to English Please can you check I have understood and translated this Chinese text into English correctly please. 通过社会集资救助贫困地区失学儿童的 “希望工程”,开始于1989年。十年以后,共有100多万人捐钱捐物,165万失学孩子受到救助。 In 1989 'Project Hope' was started to help children deprived of education through raising funds in the community. 10 years later, more than one million people have donated money or things, and 1.65 million children have received help. 一个小男孩没有什么可以回报资助他上学的一位远方的先生,他想寄几个红薯给他,走了40里山路,可是邮局不给寄。后来他想出一个办法,在家里种了5棵向日葵,浇水,除草,捉虫,每天看一次,盼呀盼,终于等到收获。这次邮局的阿姨知道了情况,没有收他的邮费。那位先生收到信和向日葵,激动得流下热泪。他回信说:“只要你努力学习,我将继续供你读中学,大学。。。。。。你就是叔叔的希望工程。” One small boy had nothing to repay the man from far away who helped him, he wanted to send a few sweet potatoes to him and walked 40 miles down the mountain roads to the post office, but they wouldn't send it for him. Afterwards he thought of an idea, he planted 5 sunflowers at home, watered them, weeded them, chased away insects, checking on them every day, hoping and hoping, until finally they were ready to harvest. This time the lady working in the post office knew about his situation and didn't charge him to send them. The old man received the sunflowers and letter and was moved to tears. He replied saying "As long as you continue to study hard, I will continue to support you through high school, through university...you are uncle’s hope."
It's excellent. In my opinion, just some words may be improved. Roads can be got rid off(山路 mountain roads). It's easy to imagine that there is no true roads in a poor mountainous area. In such area, 山路 is different from that in your country. That 山路 is probably a trail, but just mountain is ok. 你是叔叔的希望工程 should be "you are my hope". In this sentence, it's good that you employ the method of ellipsis, but 叔叔 in this sentence in that situation clearly refers to that 远方的先生. 个人之见,希望能帮到你。I would love to help people who love Chinese.
You understood and translated it 100% correctly. :)