Vlad
The essay Universities should accept equal numbers of male and female students in every subject. To what extent do you agree or disagree? It is said that universities have to accept an equal number of male and female students in each subject which is taught at the university. In some cases this might be correct. In this essay I will analyze the pros and cons of this issue. The same opportunities for everyone. Considering the genders, it is notable that, despite the academic differences between males and females, both can achieve high scores in certain subjects. For instance, during exam periods everyone is trying to achieve good marks on the exam. Otherwise he or she would have to leave the university. Therefore, by creating the same opportunities for both genders, everyone can acquire benefits by using the selective approach which seeks what it wants. Society may embrace some form of gender-specific roles. Separating females and males into different classrooms helps to distinguish which subjects are more appropriate for each gender. For example, in the 19th century there was a strict separation between boys and girls in schools. The teachers used to believe that this created a stable atmosphere for studying, so that boys and girls can perform to the best of their ability. This system worked fine until the industrial revolution which changed people’s perceptions and which also influenced the educational system. However, contrary to these arguments, in general, males may perform better in exact sciences than girls. Indeed, if one takes a look at the statistics, then one can see that engineering departments of universities have a majority of young men while language or humanities departments are mostly filled with young women. A balance is reached as both genders show their preferences for their favorite subjects. Though this might not be completely correct, it is important, however, not to unbalance the system or job market at this crucial stage. In conclusion, on the one hand, I would like to point out that by accepting an equal number of male and female students could unbalance the system slightly. On the other hand, everyone should have the same opportunities to learn anything he or she likes.
Any suggestions so far ;)