Patricia
A new life Well, I am Peruvian and I have recently moved to USA. Here in Daytona Beach, I have found that my fluency is not that good. Everybody speaks so fast here. They don't slow down when they see me. I mean, of course they can notice I am from another country. However, I don't know if they just don't care or they expect all foreigners understand everything they say. I am happy to be here, as I want to be an interpreter, I need to gain fluency in English. I could find a job in a store and well, I get bored there sometimes. The good thing is that I can practice English with the customers. However, there are times in which I don't understand what they want. I get a little sad if I have to call someone else to help me. But well, life is like that.
It's not so much that people don't care or expect all foreigners to understand, but in all honesty, Daytona Beach is not one of the more cosmopolitan cities in the US, so they probably don't have too much exposure with people of a different culture.
same with me, i have same problem with you. My partner who come from abroad speaked very fast. It made me too difficult to understand what he said. My friend ever talked to me that they should be adjust their speech speed to make us understand. But, i always have motivation to learn english much.

A new life

Well, I am Peruvian and I have recently moved to the USA. Here in Daytona Beach, I have found that my fluency is not that good. Everybody speaks so fast here. They don't slow down when they see me. I mean, of course they can notice I am from another country. However, I don't know if they just don't care or if they expect all foreigners understand everything they say.

I am happy to be here, as I want to be an interpreter. I need to gain fluency in English. I could was able to find a job in a store and well, I get bored there sometimes. The good thing is that I can practice English with the customers. However, there are times in which I don't understand what they want. I get a little sad if I have to call someone else to help me. But well, life is like that.