Ekaterina
Work in Brazil (part 2) Hi everybody! This is my second post telling about work in Brazil in general and my “work story”. I’m asking you to correct my post, please, and also make questions if this subject is interesting for you. As I wrote yesterday, I’d been working as a freelancer and as a Russian teacher for a while but since my work permit was issued I started to look for a full-time job. Those who start to work in Brazil legally need to know that it will take them at least 1 year to get your first vacation. I really don’t know how it works in other countries, but in Russia you can take the first 2 weeks’ vacation after your first 6 months of work and another 2 weeks 6 months later. It’s also absolutely normal to take some days-off per year at your own cost. Here in Brazil you can rarely see it. When you start working you need to wait for 12 months or more (usually it’s more) to take your first vacation. According to the law you can work up to 44 hours per week but it depends of the company you are working for. If it’s a big one, you will probably work only 40 hours/week, but if it’s a small local company they might make you work all 44 hours. Sometimes I think that this 44 hours system was developed because Brazilians take a lot of coffee pauses during the work day and work less that they should! =) But take care, if you tell it to any Brazilian they’ll deny it =)
1

Hi Ekaterina,

Thank you for letting us know about working conditions in Brazil. I'm very interested in relocating to Brazil in the future, but alas, it might be several years. Here are some corrections to your text;

Work in Brazil (part 2)

Hi everybody!

This is my second post telling talking about working in Brazil in general and my “work story”. I’m asking you to correct my post, please, and also make ask questions if this subject is interesting for to you.

As I wrote yesterday, I’d been working as a freelancer and as a Russian teacher for a while but since my work permit was issued I had started to look for a full-time job.

Those who start to work in Brazil legally need to know that it will take them at least 1 year to get your first vacation. I really don’t know how it works in other countries, but in Russia you can take the first 2 weeks’ vacation after your first 6 months of work and another 2 weeks, 6 months later. It’s also absolutely normal to take some days-off per year at your own cost.

Here in Brazil you can rarely see that. When you start working you need to wait for 12 months or more (usually it’s more) to take your first vacation. According to the law, you can work up to 44 hours per week but it depends on the company you are working for. If it’s a big one, you will probably work only 40 hours/week, but if it’s a small local company they might make you work all 44 hours.

Sometimes I think that this 44 hours system was developed because Brazilians take a lot of coffee pauses breaks during the work day and work less than they should! =) But take care, if you tell it say that to any Brazilian they’ll deny it =)

Hi Katerina. Thank you for your post. It contains a lot of useful information. I start thinking about moving to Brasil after it. I have one question. How did you find your students for informal Russian teaching?