Karina
Slovakia, Slovenia, Czechoslovakia aren´t the same Good morning World! In my country is right now 8:34am. The weather isn´t look like summer. It is a next rainy day. Last night I browsed across this site and I found many people from all over the world, which are interested in Slovak language. It is really surprising for me because I thought the world don´t know where this small country actually is. It´s very usual that people confuse with Slovakia and SLOVENIA. And somebodies which live in an ancient time (:-)) still think that Slovakia is a part of CZECHOSLOVAKIA. Our country is situated in center of Europe with 5 "neighbours": Austria, Czech republic, Hungary, Ukraine and Poland. From 1.1.1993 is Slovak republic an independent state with state areas 49 035km2. (Quite small, isn´t it?) We have a parliamentary republic. The head of state is the president, current president is Andrej Kiska. The most typical things for Slovakia are the following: ●Tatras (our popular mountains), ●"bryndzové halušky" (our national dish, free translation - sheep cheese dumplings), ● borovička (our national distillate. But we have also very good beers, f.e. Šariš, Zlatý bažant, Corgoň, Steiger or Topvar), ● fujara (our national musical instrument, try to search in Google), ● Jánošík (our national hero), ● Bratislavský hrad (Bratislava castle, very popular attraction, especially for Japanese tourists) and many more other castles, ● caves (Belianska jaskyňa, Demänovská ľadová jaskyňa, Dobšinská ľadová jaskyňa, Jaskyňa Domica, Ochtinská aragonitová jaskyňa...), ● our folklore costumes ● and not least, lots of men rhapsodize about beauty of our women. I hope you like this entry and I´ll be thankful for each your correction. See you soon!
3

Slovakia, Slovenia, Czechoslovakia aren´t the same

Good morning World!

In my country is right now it's 8:34 AM. The weather isn´t doesn't look like summer. It is another next rainy day.
Last night I browsed across this site and I found many people from all over the world, which who are interested in the Slovak language. It is really surprising for me because I thought the world doesn´t know where this small country actually is. It´s very usual that people confuse with Slovakia and with SLOVENIA. And somebodies people which who live in an ancient time (:-)) still think that Slovakia is a part of CZECHOSLOVAKIA. Our country is situated in the center middle of Europe (in Central Europe) with five "neighbours": Austria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Ukraine and Poland. From 1.1.1993 1st January 1993 is the Slovak Republic is an independent state with state an areas of 49,035km2 square kilometres. (Quite small, isn´t it?) We have a parliamentary republic democracy. The head of state is the president, the current president is Andrej Kiska. The most typical things for in Slovakia are the following:
●Tatras (our popular mountains),
●"bryndzové halušky" (our national dish, free translation - sheep cheese dumplings),
● borovička (our national distillate, but we also have also very good beers, f.e. e.g. Šariš, Zlatý bažant, Corgoň, Steiger or Topvar),
● fujara (our national musical instrument, try to search it in Google),
● Jánošík (our national hero),
● Bratislavský hrad (Bratislava castle, very popular attraction, especially for Japanese tourists) and many more other castles,
● caves (Belianska jaskyňa, Demänovská ľadová jaskyňa, Dobšinská ľadová jaskyňa, Jaskyňa Domica, Ochtinská aragonitová jaskyňa...),
● our folklore costumes   customs (folk <em>costumes</em> can be typical as well)
● and not least, lots of men rhapsodize about the beauty of our women.

I hope you like this entry and I´ll be thankful for each your every correction.

See you soon!

1

Slovakia, Slovenia, and Czechoslovakia aren't the same

A word to the wise: swap to an English keyboard instead of substituting a "dlhá" mark for an apostrophe. It actually looks out-of-place to my English eyes. ;) It's where you have the § symbol.

Good morning world!

It's 8:34am right now in my country. The weather isn't looking like summer. It is another next rainy day today.

Order of information in a sentence is quite different in English, compared to Slovak. Time, place, other people and so on come after the <em>subject-verb-object</em> pattern.

I used <em>isn't looking</em> to mean that you hope it's a temporary thing. You can use <em>doesn't look</em> to state a fact.

Last night, I was browsing through this site and I found many people from all over the world, who are interested in the Slovak language. It is really surprising for me because I thought the world didn't know where this small country actually was. It's very typical that people confuse with Slovakia with SLOVENIA. What's more, some folk who obviously still live in an ancient time (:-)) still think that Slovakia is a part of CZECHOSLOVAKIA.

Quite true. Here's an old vlog by Slovene vlogger Barbara: <em>www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtPtfgX1olw</em>

I found it even more confusing in Slovak: <em>Slovensko/Slovinsko</em>, <em>slovenčina/slovinčina(</em>or<em> slovenščina)...</em>

Pay attention to the back-shift rule in English. It basically depends on your first verb (<em>thought</em>).

Our country is situated in the center of Europe with five "neighbours": Austria, the Czech republic, Hungary, Ukraine and Poland. From the first of January, 1993 the Slovak republic became an independent state with an state areas of 49,035km2 square kilometers. (Quite small, isn't it?) We have a parliamentary republic. The head of state is the president, the current one being Andrej Kiska. The most typical things about Slovakia are the following:

More advice: make it a habit to write words (eg. numbers) fully instead of abbreviating. Only large numbers remain as numerals.

The Tatras (our popular mountains),
● "bryndzové halušky" (our national dish, a rough translation: sheep's-cheese dumplings),
● borovička (our national spirit. But We also have very good beers, e.g. Šariš, Zlatý bažant, Corgoň, Steiger and Topvar),
● fujara (our national musical instrument, try to search in Google), (I've got one! :D) 
● Jánošík (our national hero),
● Bratislavský hrad (Bratislava castle, a very popular attraction, especially for Japanese tourists) and many more other castles,
● our traditional costumes
● and last but not least, lots of men wax lyrical about the beauty of our women. (,,Slovenky sú najkrajšie.") :)

I could see some of the words were literal translations. Sometimes we prefer a different phrase.

I hope you've enjoyed reading this entry and I'll be grateful for each your any corrections you make.

See you soon!

...and now I'm missing the country!