Nick Stubbs
What's up sa lahat? Puwede ba kayong magpapaliwanag sa akin anong ibig sabihin ng salita "Nga" sa Ingles?
1

A:  Bakit ba umalis si Mary?  =  Why did Mary leave?

B: Ewan ko nga ba.  =  I really have no idea/I really don’t know.

C: Bakit nga ba?  =  So, why indeed (did she leave)? 

Pahingi ng tubig (Puwede bang humingi ng tubig?)  =  Can you give me some water?

Pahingi nga (po) ng tubig(?)  =  May I please ask for some water?  (It does not exactly translate to “please”, but the message would come across that way.)

X:  Ano nga ang pangalan ng kaibigan mong taga-America? = What’s the name again of your friend from America?

Y:  Hakuna Matata

X:  Ano nga iyon uli?  = What’s that again?  (Actually, “uli” is also “again”, so the actual translation would be “What again was that again?”, but that’s just how we’d say it.)

These are just some of the meanings I can think of, but maybe others here have more meanings to add, o divine master.  :-))))))

1

Yes, sir!  With trembling knees, I proffer these explanations:  (hehehe)

“Nga” is similar to “naman” in the sense that it can take different meanings depending on context.  More often, it means “indeed” or “really”, but it can also mean “please” in a way, and also “again”.

Examples:

A:  Umalis na pala si Mary. = So, Mary has already left?  (This would be like a question, if stated in English)

B:  Oo nga. = Yes, indeed.

X:  Alam mo ba na tinamaan ni John yung jackpot sa lotto?  = Did you know that John hit the jackpot in the lotto?

Y:  Hindi nga!  =  No, really?  (Again, becoming a question in English)

Son:  Ma, pwede ba akong lumabas mamayang gabi? = Mom, may I go out tonight?

Mom:  Hindi = No

Son:  Sige na Ma, payagan mo na ako. =  Come on Mom, do give me your permission.

Mom: Hindi nga! =  Indeed, no! (Would actually mean more like, “Didn’t you just hear me say “no”?)

Walang anuman, kaibigang Nick!
I do say, my dear friend. I am much obliged. Thank you kindly for your time and information, you never fail to simplify things for me. haha Thanks, Henry.
BTW, it would be better to split "anong" in "...kung anong ibig sabihin...) into "ano ang" to give more emphasis to the word "ano" (what) because that is really your main concern in asking the question.