Jason
Challenges and opportunities with mobile devices Challenges and opportunities with mobile devices This is the first response to my post "Difference between smart phones and traditional laptops". I would like to thank Michelle's valuable comments to my old post. For me (an end-user of mobile devices), there is no much differences between a smart phone and a tablet, though a tablet is definitely more powerful in computation and more durable in power supply. In other words, as Michelle has pointed out, they mainly differ in size. Inspired by this (maybe not true) observation, I searched on the web a bit today and am going to change the title of this topic to "Difference between mobile devices and traditional stationary devices", where mobile devices refer to devices that equip with battery (instead of AC power) and have access to Internet anywhere and anytime, and traditional stationary devices refer to laptops and desktop computers which use AC power supply and locate mostly in a pre-defined geographic location. Mobile devices include smart phones and tablets from Apple and Samsung, and stationary devices include PC computers and laptops from DELL and ACER. In summarize, all of the personal computing devices fall into two categories according to their mobility. I will try to argue my idea in the following paragraphs. Mobility enables a device to become part of necessities in your routine life (other necessities include glasses and even shoes), compared with a desktop without mobility merely being tools in work. Except for going to sleep, you do anything and go anywhere with your mobile devices in your pocket(phone, tablet, or whatever). That means your mobile devices can know everything about you (that is the reason why personal privacy issues arise with the ubiquitous of mobile devices.) Secondly, remember that they have access to the Internet, which means you are connected to the Internet anytime and anywhere, whether or not you are aware or would like to be. Mobility arises a lot of challenges already such as privacy. On the other hand, it brings tons of opportunities given that the world including billions of people are connected anywhere and anytime. I think that the reason why some companies providing mobile devices are so valuable. Overall, interesting topic. I will continue and turn in more entries about this topic. Welcome to discussing and correcting.