Spanish Tutor Andrés
Professional Teacher
Seaweed-eating Sheep from Orkney Islands (Part I) Hi there! This is an attempt to practice the following terms: - - - FOAMING AT THE MOUTH – FIND YOUR FEET – WRAP UP WARM – KNOW BETTER – ALONG THE LINES OF – OUT IN THE STICKS – A SPOT OF BOTHER – LEARN THE ROPES - - - ‘I tell you Alastair, if they could, the flock would throw me off the cliff’. It was obvious that Sally wasn't getting used to the life in the Orkney Islands. She wasn’t good with sheep either and these North Ronaldsay ovine were not a thing for novice. They were evolved to eat seaweed after all. They were as stubborn as Alastair’s female relatives according to Sally’s words. She had even blurted that out in front of Fenya, Alastair’s sister, in the middle of a row. Sally had explained Alastair that Fenya was foaming at the mouth, so angry that she resembled the sheep after eating seaweed. Alastair had chuckled but warned Sally never to mention that in the presence of Fenya. Alastair had forewarned Sally. ‘It usually takes a long time to find your feet here in the Orkney, dear’. Sally knew full well. The fact was that she was putting on weight and wrapping up warm every single day so she was literally having difficulty to find her feet indeed. She wouldn’t complain in front of Alastair’s family though. She knew better. At the end of the day she was happy after all. The Orkney Islands were something along the lines of what she was looking for. It was definitely better than living in Inverness, she used to remind herself. (Continue in Part II)
1

Seaweed-eating Sheep from Orkney Islands (Part I)

Hi there!

This is an attempt to practice the following terms:

- - - FOAMING AT THE MOUTH – FIND YOUR FEET – WRAP UP WARM – KNOW BETTER – ALONG THE LINES OF – OUT IN THE STICKS – A SPOT OF BOTHER – LEARN THE ROPES - - -

‘I tell you Alastair, if they could, the flock would throw me off the cliff’.

It was obvious that Sally wasn't getting used to the life in the Orkney Islands. She wasn’t good with sheep either and these North Ronaldsay ovine were not a thing for novice  (for the novice, or, for novices. They were evolved (were bred - or - evolved .. but not the passive with evolved) to eat seaweed after all. They were as stubborn as Alastair’s female relatives according to Sally’s words. She had even blurted that out in front of Fenya, Alastair’s sister, in the middle of a row. Sally had explained Alastair(preposition missing) that Fenya was foaming at the mouth, so angry that she resembled the sheep after eating seaweed. Alastair had chuckled but warned Sally never to mention that in the presence of Fenya.

Alastair had forewarned Sally. ‘It usually takes a long time to find your feet here in the Orkney, dear’. Sally knew full well(usually we need 'it' or 'that' - she knew that full well). The fact was that she was putting on weight and wrapping up warm every single day so she was literally having difficulty to find (finding)  her feet indeed. She wouldn’t complain in front of Alastair’s family though. She knew better. At the end of the day she was happy after all(better at the beginning. After all, at the...) . The Orkney Islands were something along the lines of what she was looking for. It was definitely better than living in Inverness, she used to remind herself.

I like the use of ovine. It is not a particularly biological term, any more than canine/feline/bovine. They are commonly used. Ovine is the least common though! I like it.
(Continue in Part II)

Andrés!  Qué alegría, por fin sé algo concreto sobre la vida de Sally.  Bueno, todo sigue siendo un poco duro para ella, pero me imagino, por lo que ya conozco de ella, que ella va a luchar con uñas y dientes para sobrevivir...

Tal vez como Carlos no debería haber mudado de una isla greca a Inverness y otra vez a the Orkney Islands - y ella continua haciendo eso va a encontrarse en el Polo Norte.  Pobrecita!

Seaweed-eating Sheep from Orkney Islands (Part I) - Este título me da un poco de miedo...como 'The Silence of the Lambs' pero más como un libro de ciencia ficción...

Hi there!

This is an attempt to practise the following terms:

Perfecto, Andrés!  Si quieres enfatizar un poco que ella tiene miedo del rebaño, se puede decir 'that flock'.  Suena un poco más dramático así.

It was obvious that Sally wasn't getting used to the life in the Orkney Islands. She wasn’t good with sheep either and these North Ronaldsay ovine were not a thing for novice.

Entiendo la palabra 'ovine' pero no suena normal en una historia como ésta.  Es una palabra que se puede leer en algún documento científico.

La frase subrayada - Se dice mejor - were not for novices / were not something for novices.

They were evolved to eat seaweed after all. They were as stubborn as Alastair’s female relatives according to Sally’s words. She had even blurted athat out in front of Fenya, Alastair’s sister, in the middle of a row. Sally had explained to Alastair that Fenya was foaming at the mouth, so angry that she resembled the sheep after eating seaweed. Alastair had chuckled but warned Sally never to mention that in the presence of Fenya.

Alastair had forewarned Sally, ‘It usually takes a long time to find your feet here in the Orkneys (or the Orkney Islands), dear’. Sally knew full well. The fact was that she was putting on weight and wrapping up warm every single day so she was literally having difficulty to find her feet indeed.  Hahahaha!!!

She wouldn’t complain in front of Alastair’s family though. She knew better. At the end of the day she was happy after all.

Perfecto, se puede decir eso, pero suena más natural decir 'After all, she was happy at the end of the day'.

The Orkney Islands were something along the lines of what she was looking for. It was definitely better than living in Inverness, she used to remind herself.

(Continue in Part II)

Hay dos partes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Genial!!!  Espero que haya un final de suspense en la parte siguiente!!  Muy bien, como siempre Andrés!  Solo algunos detalles pequeños para considerar.

Leigh