Spanish Tutor Andrés
Professional Teacher
Seaweed-eating Sheep from Orkney Islands (Part II) Hi there! This is an attempt to practice the following terms: - - - FOAMING AT THE MOUTH – FIND YOUR FEET – WRAP UP WARM – KNOW BETTER – ALONG THE LINES OF – OUT IN THE STICKS – A SPOT OF BOTHER – LEARN THE ROPES - REBUKE - - - (Part II) Alastair and Sally were living together, as they had found a small house out in the sticks. Sally still remembered how Alastair’s mother and sister had guffawed when she shared the news with them. ‘Out in the sticks? You’re not living in Glasgow, dear. This is Orkney, both the Norwegian and North sea surround us. You’re already out in the bloody sticks’. Sally had found the reaction over the top but Alastair had minimise the matter by telling her that people were just like that in the islands and it wasn’t personal. Sally had counter-attacked though by offering Feyna her haggis in a clear reference to her obesity. In a way that you could argue, Feyna and Sally were not that physically different now so Sally couldn’t use the food to rebuke to Feyna’s rudeness anymore. Alastair’s grandmother was surprisingly appreciative though. She didn’t look like an islander. As a matter of fact, she was a Scotch Irish who had settled down in the Orkney in her 30’s. She was now a 89-year-old white-haired woman. ‘Don’t let them get you sweet girl, I understand you. I, myself, had to struggle with these insolent Scottish in the beginning. We went through a lot. Oh, we didn’t just have a spot of bother with this and that, we had real problems. Sometimes we thought that we were going to starve to death. We thought the sea would swallow us one day. My husband was everything I had and it took a long time until we learnt the ropes around here. Look at me now, almost 90 and my mind is still as sharp as the knife I used for the haggis. Listen to me sweet Sally, listen to me and you’ll know how to manage here…’

Me siento tan feliz.  Ahora sé un poco más de todo lo que pasa en la vida de Sally...me parece ser la misma sensación que Geraldine tuvo cuando ganó la final de 'Britain's got the pop factor, and possibly a brand new celebrity soapstar superstar strictly dancing on ice'!

Alastair and Sally were living together, as they had found a small house out in the sticks. Sally still remembered how Alastair’s mother and sister had guffawed when she shared the news with them. ‘Out in the sticks? You’re not living in Glasgow, dear. This is Orkney, both the Norwegian and North sea surround us. You’re already out in the bloody sticks’. Sally had found the reaction over the top but Alastair had minimised the matter by telling her that people were just like that on the islands and it wasn’t personal.

Es perfecto - también se dice 'it was nothing personal'.  Eso es una frase muy común.

Sally had counter-attacked though by offering Feyna her haggis in a clear reference to her obesity. In a way that you could argue that Feyna and Sally were not that physically different now so Sally couldn’t use the food to rebuke to Feyna’s rudeness anymore.

Alastair’s grandmother was surprisingly appreciative though. She didn’t look like an islander. As a matter of fact, she was a Scotch Irish who had settled down in the Orkneys in her 30’s. She was now a 89-year-old white-haired woman. ‘Don’t let them get you down sweet girl, I understand you. I, myself, had to struggle with these insolent Scottish in the beginning. We went through a lot. Oh, we didn’t just have a spot of bother with this and that, we had real problems. Sometimes we thought that we were going to starve to death. We thought the sea would swallow us one day. My husband was everything I had and it took a long time until we learnt the ropes around here. Look at me now, almost 90 and my mind is still as sharp as the knife I used for the haggis. Listen to me sweet Sally, listen to me and you’ll soon know how to manage here…’ - Sin la palabra 'soon' para mi algo falta en esta frase.

Muy bien, Andrés!  Sally en Orkney...no creo que ella vaya a sentará cabeza allí.  Es un espíritu libre y no creo que vaya a poder aguantar a su familia política ni el estilo de vida en una isla tan aislada...

Felicidades, has usado cada expresión y frase perfectamente!

Leigh