Ivan
Не торопись, а то успеешь. When I started to tell you in some rush, I stopped and asked: "Успеваешь?" As you could already understood there is no the same word in English. But for Russian it is quite common word. I'll start with common use of this word. English: Will you on time for the train? or Do you have enough time? literally we can translate Ты будешь во время на поезд? Тебе достаточно времени? First sentence has a right construction and you will be understood. But more common structure for it is: Ты успеваешь на поезд? We use this word when we have some limit (of time). English. Before the meeting I had enough time to take a lunch. Русский, дословно. Перед встречей у меня было достаточно времени для ланча (обеда). Или. Перед встречей я успел поесть. You can see that the second sentence is shorter but the meaning remained the same: I had a meeting, I was hungry, I had a time enough, I used the time to eat a meal. If I'm waiting for you in a cinema and you're late, I'm calling you on the cell phone and asking: "Успеваешь?". I mean, will you come before a movie is started? If I go to a cinema and you go to a railway station, your train departs at 17:15. I'm calling you at 17:20 and asking: "Успел?". Had you get on the train? If I'm explaining you something that you didn't know before, I understand that some of terms you couldn't get (maybe you did, but I'm not sure), and I asking: "Успеваешь?" I mean: do you understand all that I'm talking. If you've understood me right please try to translate the subject of this note.
The situation you can meet this phrase when a leader asks one of low rank to not harry. You'll make it if you do not harry. But here we are dealing with a wise chief and the accent is on the contradiction that must confused the doer, makes him thinking. Of course must be a translation better then mine, I suppose it is quite close. Don't rush if no need smash.
Thanks for the excellent explanation, Ivan. I'll try again. Is it more like - "If you don't hurry, then you'll have time"?
Of course you're right, Dominic. When you succeed you're having a good luck. I forgot mentioning that both "успех" и "успевать" is cognate because the Old Russian root "спеть" means ripen. You can draw a parallel between a Ripe plum and a Succeed plum:) One of archaic sense of the verb "успевать" meant immediate being successful or improving. In the sentence "Он прекрасно успевает по математике" we haven't any time limit - He is improving the math very well. (wiki http://bit.ly/1tFLzyu). Nowadays "успевает" usual is part of compound predicate: успел влюбиться, успел понять, успел забыть - past perfect. When you translated "Не торопись, а то успеешь" you balked the oppositive sense of conjunction structure "а (не) то". Would you try again? I'll give you a hint: this expression has a counterintuitive sense.
Thanks, Ivan, this is really interesting. Is the verb related to 'успех'? It sounds like it is sometimes equivalent - but not exactly - to the English expression, to "make it". The phone call from the cinema, for example: "It's starting soon. Will you make it?", or "I saw you rushing for the train, did you make it?" But in the lunch and explaining examples, 'make it' doesn't work - so успевать is far more flexible. Excellent word! Does the phrase mean "Don't rush, you have time" or "No need to hurry, you'll make it", something similar?