Akari Talks Japan
Professional Teacher
Don't ask me "Are you Chinese?", ask me "Where are you from?" (First of all, it's not unfriendly massage to Chinese people. I have good Chinese friends. I just don't like people's stereo type way of thinking.) I've live in Canada about two years. I've lived in Newfoundland, and Prince Edward Island. Both places are not big city. In Newfoundland, people are not used to foreigner at all. In Prince Edward Island, it's a touristic place, so people are more used to foreign people, but in both places, I often asked "Are you Chinese?" I'd like to say the world are so diverse. There are 25 countries in Asia. Not all oriental looking people are Chinese. We all have different languages, culture, and politics, and society system. So if people wonder where I'm from, they should ask me "Where are you from?" I think you guys in this site, italki have more open minded, more knowledge of the world, and travel often, so please let the people around you know the world is diverse :)

Don't ask me "Are you Chinese?", ask me "Where are you from?"

(First of all, it's this is not an unfriendly message to Chinese people.
I have good Chinese friends.
I just don't like people's stereo type way of stereotype thinking.)

I've lived in Canada for about two years.
I've lived in Newfoundland, and Prince Edward Island.
Both places are not big cities.

In Newfoundland, people are not used to foreigners at all.
In Prince Edward Island, it's a touristic place, so people are more used to (seeing) foreign people, but
in both places, I am often asked "Are you Chinese?"

I'd like to say (that) the world are is so diverse. There are 25 countries in Asia.
Not all oriental-looking people are Chinese.
We all have different languages, cultures, and politics, and societal systems.
So if people wonder where I'm from, they should ask me
"Where are you from?"

I think you guys on this site, italki, have are more open minded, more knowledge of the world, and travel often, so please let the people around you know the world is diverse :)

Haha, I totally hear you! I have a multi-ethnic heritage, so the question I usually get is "*What* are you? Umm...do you mean, human, biped, omnivore...? :D

Yes, tuyetnhung0203 I like the question "Where are you from?" too :)
Well, I have some thought with you. When I travelled to Korea, most of people looked at me and asked me if I was Chinese. Even some girls talked to me in Chinese... @@ I prefer "Where are you from?" than that straightforward question "are you chinese"? :)
Hello Nicolaus, really? that's interesting. So it's up where you go I guess. Anyway what I wanna tell people is world is diverse. Don't judge people by it's cover!
Oh, that's a little weird......because you know on many websites of China, I often read articles about people mixing Chinese people as Japanese or Korean, but I rarely read any articles about foreigners mixing Japanese/Korean as Chinese...netizens here often complain "shoot! I'm always regarded as japanese when I am abroad"....←_← and similar views are like this, "When in foreign countries, people often ask 'are you Japanese'/'are you Korean?' first and then they may ask 'are you Chinese'"...