David-wen
Help! SOS 1 A: What time is it? B: Well, we came at seven, and I am sure we have been here for at least an hour. So it must be (must have been) around eight o'clock. 2 A: I met Ayako's husband at the reception. We said hello to each other, but when I asked him a question in English, he just smiled and nodded. B: He must not have spoken (must not speak ) much English. Can the verbs in parenthesis substitute verbs preceding them? why or why not?
2

Help! SOS

1 A: What time is it?
B: Well, we came at seven. and I am sure we have been here for at least an hour. So it must be (must have been) around eight o'clock. This is OK.  However, it is more formal sounding.

2 A: I met Ayako's husband at the reception. We said hello to each other, but when I asked him a question in English, he just smiled and nodded.
B: He must not have spoken (must not speak ) much understand English. If you add "my" in front of "English", the meaning becomes totally different! Alternatively, you can answer "He does not speak English at all."

Can the verbs in the parenthesis use as a substitution verbs preceding them? why or why not If so, why and if not, why?