Jeff
蒙學漢文初階 第七十七之課 Beginning Chinese - Entry Level Lesson #77 古語云 ancient words say 山川而能語 mountains rivers and able talk 葬師食無所 bury teacher eat no cause 肺腑而能語 lungs internal_organs and able talk 醫師色如土 doctor/heal teacher color like earth Before I put out the translation, I would like to comment on this passage first. Even with word for word translation, it is still very puzzling to the modern reader in trying to figure what all these means. The saying is taken from the classics, 山經 (The Mountain Classic) and 相冢書 (The Book of Physiognomy & Burial Mounds). Here a 葬師 is a geomancer skilled in the art of Fengshui (風水). 師 (Teacher) is an honorific term for those skilled in such noble professions. Ancient Chinese, like ancient Egyptians are obsessed with where and how one's grave should be for it will have effects on later generations. Literal translation Ancient words sayeth, "If mountains and rivers can speak, then geomancers have nothing to eat. If lungs and other internal organs can talk, then the colors on the doctors will be like those of the earth." Translation by meaning, An old saying, "If mountains and rivers can speak, then geomancers will starve to death. If lungs and other internal organs can talk, then what is there any use of having doctors?"