Paulo Ribeiro
Professional Teacher
My experience teaching my daughter how to speak English My baby girl is 1 and a half years old. After speaking to her in English and singing her nursery rhymes, the first things she asks for in the morning is her “shoes” in English. She has also started saying “bus” when I bring the toy bus to her and sing “The wheels of the bus go round and round". I suppose this isn't "real" English that she has learned as she is only substituting a couple Portuguese words for English words, but its still fun. I am doing all of this without any idea how it should be done. I need help finding better teaching strategies.
2

My experience teaching my daughter how to speak English

My baby girl is 1 and a half years old. After speaking to her in English and singing her nursery rhymes, the first things she asks for in the morning is her “shoes” in English. She has also started saying “bus” when I bring the toy bus to her and sing “The wheels of the bus go round and round". I suppose this isn't "real" English that she has learned as she is only substituting a couple Portuguese words for English words, but its still fun. I am doing all of this without any idea (of) how it should be done. I need help finding better teaching strategies.

(Other than that one word, your writing looks perfect!)

I think at such a young age, when the child's brain is still developing, you do not really have to worry about teaching strategies. However, I do think that at this stage, they learn a lot better through repetition and association. I assume this is the way she learnt Portuguese. repetition + association ( for example when she sees a dog, point to it and say "dog" but if she sees a cat and say "dog" - you will need to correct him) Overtime she will learn to associate the word with the object, place or thing