Misa
8/30/2014 Strawberry is not true berry. It is known as an accessory fruit. Berry is a fleshy fruit produced from a single seed or single ovary. However strawberry does not fitted into this category because it is the enlarged ends of the plant’s stamen or the receptacle that holds the ovaries. It’s the small black spots are actually its fruits called “achene”. It is the only fruit has its seeds on the outside. You can actually plant strawberry using these little flecks, if you did not swallow them into your stomach. Banana, avocado, eggplant and tomato are classified as berries. There is a theory that strawberry was named by 19th century children who picked the fruit, strung them on grass straws, and sold them as “Straws of berries”. Strawberry can be used in making smoothie, jam, cakes, cookies and pie.

8/30/2014

The strawberry is not a true berry. It is known as an accessory fruit. A berry is a fleshy fruit produced from a single seed or (single) ovary. However strawberries do not fit into this category because of the enlarged parts at the end of the plant’s stamen - the receptacle that holds the ovaries.

The small black spots are actually its fruits and they are called “achene”. It is the only fruit that has its seeds on the outside. You can actually grow strawberries by planting the achene, as long as you do not swallow (/eat) them first! 
Bananas, avocados, eggplants and tomatoes are all classified as berries.
There is a theory that the strawberry got its name from 19th century children who would pick them, string them on grass straws, and sell them as “straws of berries”.
Strawberries can be used to make (/can be used in) smoothies, jam, cakes, cookies and pies.