Aaron
Sexism: Lookism in South Korea In South Korea, many people ask the question first “She is pretty?” when they heard about some women. Appearance of women is usually very important thing to make them estimate in a variety of situations. Evenly, there is a saying “Good looking is an important ability to get a job”. This lookism is one of the major social problem in Korea and make lots of side effects such as growing of plastic surgery. Lookism, especially to women, is rampant in South Korea. Statistics show that South Korea tops the list which is about country’s population of plastic surgery. Evenly, one in five women in Seoul had gone under the knife. (The Economist Online, 2012, Who has the most plastic surgery?) This suggests that there is a strong social pressure on women to improve their beauty. For example, today’s Korean consumption culture encourage women to take care of their appearance until they get perfect-looking. (Lim, In-Sook, 2004, The Experience and Intention of Cosmetic Surgery in the Looks-Discriminatory Society). In consumption culture, women’s appearance is considered to improve with their effort. Especially, it is now believed that women should conform their destiny, which is that woemn have to manage their appearance until death. That kind of social pressure is strengthened by media. Even if it is impossible that every women achieve perfect appearance, women in media usually have good looking which represent ideal of women’s beauty. (Su-hyeon Kim and Hyun-sook Bae, 2014, Effects of Social and Cultural Attitude Toward Appearance Portrayed through Mass Media on Women’s Intention of Cosmetic Surgery) Evenly, there is a TV show, named ‘Let Me In’, which give an opportunity to have a plastic surgery to panel who is ordinary women. The women who watch this TV show get a consideration of plastic surgery with seeing panel’s change of appearance after plastic surgery. Actually, it seemed that a desire for beauty is instinctive characteristic of women. It is true that women in the past used to manage their appearance with makeup and costume likely modern women. However, contemporary pursuit of perfect beauty is the thing that made by social pressure. This pressure forces women to manage and improve their looking constantly and it brings excessive use or an addiction to plastic surgery. If this trend continues one day we can’t find women who had not gone under the knife.
It's deeply unfair to women to put this pressure on them. What do looks have to do with job ability.