Tony Marsh
Answer to a Question by Anthony from New Jersey Anthony, thanks for your question "How is it possible to think in the second language from day one?" in reference to my previous notebook entry entitled 'The MOST Important Thing in Learning a Language’. What you do is...ONLY allow yourself to express thoughts which stem from a VERB that you already know. In other words, say all you know in Spanish as far as verbs go are ‘Me gusta...’, and ‘Quiero...’—‘I like...’, and ‘I want...’, respectively. My conversation with native speakers/people who speak better than I will be like this: I’M GOING TO TALK ONLY ABOUT ARE THINGS I LIKE, AND THINGS I WANT. Whatever I’d being saying if I were speaking English or another language DOES NOT MATTER. I am not searching L2 (the second language) for a match for my thoughts; but rather, I am searching L2 for SOMETHING TO SAY, effectively thinking in L2, as I continue to grow my routine—the result of conversing, gaining experience in L2.
Exacto.
Now, that makes sense Tony. So, only use what I know and then extend, or learn, from there.