Ángel Guirao
The mystery I ran until my muscles burned, but I finally got home. I didn’t have my keys, but John, the caretaker, opened my door without asking anything. He always was a taciturn person, the only time I heard him talking to someone was in New Year’s Eve 2002, when he was whispering “Happy new year” to everyone passing through the hall entrance. When I was going to get inside, I thought maybe someone was waiting behind the door to damage me, rape me or even kill me, but I had no alternative. If I wanted to clarify all this messy situation I had to be brave and move forward. “It is my own home and nobody should get too cocky within these walls” I rustled to myself trying to maintain my composure. I opened the door very slightly and I took a look, everything seemed normal at first glance. I started to tiptoe toward the living room and all I could hear was the hardwood floor crackling when walked upon. The situation was stifling. Then I checked also the kitchen, the bathroom and my bedroom. Everything was in order, I was the only one there. I was enfeebled and I laid down on the couch. I tried to sleep but I couldn’t, thoughts were buzzing around my head like an angry hornet. “What the hell happened last night?” I asked myself another time. As far as I know, I didn’t have no special enemies who desired causing me pain and lock me up in that kind of diabolic secret hideout for weeks. I was the typical peaceful guy who loves make new friends and I always try to be nice and kind to everyone. I was the typical student who wakes up every single morning to attend my philosophy courses and I go the gym afterwards. Then why me? Why I had been kidnapped by some lunatic guy? And why I don’t remember absolutely nothing? Everything was meaningless. Is there anything I’m overlooking? Sure. I saw the answering machine red light flickering and I decided to listen all the recorded messages. I had seventeen messages from my parents, who were very upset and concerned about me; another one from my friend Allen, telling me that I had to deliver my final dissertation to Mr. Campbell before friday; and the last one was from Lana, a beautiful girl that I picked up last weekend in Moe’s club, and who was shrieking at the other end of the line because we had a date on thursday and, obviously, I didn’t appear.

I ran until my muscles burned, but I finally got home. I didn’t have my keys, but John, the caretaker, opened my door without asking anything. He always was a taciturn person, the only time I heard him talking to someone was in New Year’s Eve 2002, when he was whispering “Happy new year” to everyone passing through the hall entrance.

When I was going inside, I thought maybe someone was waiting behind the door to damage me, rape me or even kill me, but I had no alternative. If I wanted to clarify all this messy situation I had to be brave and move forward. “It is my own home and nobody should get too cocky within these walls” I murmured to myself trying to maintain my composure.

I opened the door very slightly and I took a look, everything seemed normal at first glance. I started to tiptoe toward the living room and all I could hear was the hardwood floor crackling when walked upon. The situation was stifling. Then I checked also the kitchen, the bathroom and my bedroom. Everything was in order, I was the only one there.

I was enfeebled and I laid down on the couch. I tried to sleep but I couldn’t, thoughts were buzzing around my head like an angry hornet. “What the hell happened last night?” I asked myself another time. As far as I know, I didn’t have no special enemies who desired causing me pain and lock me up in that kind of diabolic secret hideout for weeks.

I was the typical peaceful guy who loved make new friends and always tried to be nice and kind to everyone. I was the typical student who woke up every single morning to attend my philosophy courses and I went the gym afterwards. Then why me? Why I had been kidnapped by some lunatic guy? And why do I remember absolutely nothing? Everything was meaningless. Was there anything I’m overlooking? Sure.

I saw the answering machine red light flickering and I decided to listen all the recorded messages. I had seventeen messages from my parents, who were very upset and concerned about me; another one from my friend Allen, telling me that I had to deliver my final dissertation to Mr. Campbell before friday; and the last one was from Lana, a beautiful girl that I picked up last weekend in Moe’s club, and who was shrieking at the other end of the line because we had a date on thursday and, obviously, I didn’t appear.

The oldest message was from Wednesday and today was sunday. Taking into account that my mother calls me every day to telling me all the boring gossips and stories about breakups and love affairs from her friends, I might have been locked up since tuesday. Six long days passed since then. What I was doing last tuesday? I remember waking up very early in the morning because I had such a backlog of work to do for my dissertation on connectionism and I had an appointment with Mr. Campbell at noon in order to fix some details of my paper.