Misa
9/2/2014 Stonehenge, in Wiltshire, England, is not just simply some stone monuments I had previously thought. I have spent three nights to read up some materials on the internet about it. Based on carbon dating finding, the Stonehenge was built by prehistorical people around 3000 BC to 2000 BC. It is a ring of standing huge stones set within earthworks. Until today, there are still a good deal of questions about this Stonehenge unanswered. By whom it was built? How it was built? And why it was built? The Stonehenge construction was a huge undertaking, as the builders need to move gigantic stones from as far as West Wales. A lot of manpower and organized leadership over many generations were required. It might suggest that unification in prehistorical society. And this society did not have a writing system yet. One interesting theory of this Stonehenge is that it could be built for astronomical purposes. It was believed by some researchers that Stonehenge was used to predict events of the night sky, e.g. lunar eclipses. In 1960’s, an astronomer Gerald Hawkins used a computer to provide the first evidence that Stonehenge was used as a devise for observing heavens. If this is true, we may conclude that these prehistorical people had high intelligence and were gifted with mathematics and astronomy talents but they were illiterate. As there isn't any writing found on the earthwork. Please correct my writing , thanks.