Yeony
Just because you like someone doesn't mean I should like the person too. My father's friend lives neighborhood, about a minute walk from our house with his wife. He is also my father's future business partner, so I often see his face when I come home. My mother gets along well with his wife. They have a son and a daughter, and the son is the same age as me and the daughter is just a year older than my sister. Their family and our family sometimes go to a restaurant together on weekends to have a lunch. During last summer vacation, we went camping together. When I meet the adults, I greet them, saying hello and bowing to them, but I don't want to hang out with their son and daughter. It's not because I hate them, it's because I feel awkward to be with them because of my parents. My mother talked silly things about me when she met the wife at first for easing the atmosphere of first meeting. Some are true, but some are exaggerated for fun. Really, I get annoyed by my mom's taking advantage of me to get her talk going on. But in contrast, she storms words if I say some things about herself to other people after we get back to home. In early years, my father worked as a banker then quit it and invested in stock market, and he worked as real estate agent. Then he stopped it after making some profit, and keeps investing in stock market nowadays. The friend is the man my father used to know since he worked as a banker. He often invites his friend to our house to talk about that business with a glass of liquor. The friend doesn't drink too much, but my father keeps drinking liquor when it starts and talks really loud till midnight. My earplugs don't work but only make my ears uncomfortable. I can't sleep till the guest goes cuz I have to give a farewell bow when he leaves. My sister hangs out with the daughter, but I can't. I feel unreachable emotional distance with the girl and her brother. I've seen him several times, but haven't even talked with him, nor I want to. But my parents try to make room for us to be closer to them. The more my parents try, the farther my emotional distance becomes. Whenever I meet the son and the daughter at school or on street, I shun them and I don't go out with my parents on weekends because of them these days. My parents blame me for not getting along with them. "But why should I care? Your business is not my business."