YoY
Professional Interpreter I have been attending a writing workshop led by a New York Times' writer and poet this whole week. The teacher speaks English all the time during the session, but there is a interpreter who translates every single words from the teacher. Every day I struggle with my English study and so I sometimes get so frustrated when I happen to misunderstand some English words. But I thought it is because I just study English only for myself. After I heard her consecutive and simultaneous interpretation, I was marveled how she transform all the word and intentions of the speaker to the local workshop attendees who were nervous to hear an alien language from the foreign expert. My first impression about her was that she was a shadow of the speaker and also all ears. She does have an atmosphere of a silent statue when she is very concentrated to listen to every single word the speaker spoke. No matter how long and continuously the speaker spoke, the interpreter seemed to be relaxed but concentrated at the same time. Her tone of voice was sharply low and sound. Her pointy ears reminded me of a Startrek movie character. It was as if the speaker's English words were absorbed by her ears and appeared to be directly sent to her brain and then directly go to her verbal sense. The second impression was that she was very kind, especially to the listeners. I was very much annoyed by some of the attendants who just wanted to speak English and considered the place as a place to practice English or just to be proud of how much they could speak English to non-English speakers. Some seemed to be fluent in English, but the contents they were speaking were nothing but their self-centered opinions. Every time they spoke in English although there was a professional interpreter, the flow of the discussion was discouraged... I say they speak bad English. They just pretend to be fluent, but the contents is just as same as high school students opinions. The worst thing was they didn't explain in Japanese for other class mates.... So, the interpreter kindly interpreted the egoistic speeches to class mates. What I was impressed most was her benevolence to make this once-in-a-life event successful to everybody. She did not say any filler or did not show any distress or anxiety. So, the teacher and workshop attendants could feel relaxed and enjoy the fresh encountering to each other. There are a few days left for the workshop and I will study hard!

Professional Interpreter

I have been attending a writing workshop led by a New York Times' writer and poet this whole week. The teacher speaks English all the time during the session, but there is a interpreter who translates every single words from the teacher.

Every day I struggle with my English studies and so I sometimes get so frustrated when I happen to misunderstand some English words. But I thought it is because I just study English only for myself. After I heard her consecutive and simultaneous interpretation, I marveled at how she transformed all the words and intentions of the speaker to the local workshop attendees who were nervous to hear an alien language from the foreign expert.

My first impression about of her was that she was a shadow of the speaker and also all ears. She does did have an atmosphere the demeanor of a silent statue when she is very concentrated to listen to every single word the speaker spoke. No matter how long and continuously the speaker spoke, the interpreter seemed to be relaxed but concentrated at the same time. Her tone of voice was sharply low and sound. Her pointy ears reminded me of a Startrek movie character. It was as if the speaker's English words were absorbed by her ears, and appeared to be directly sent to her brain and then directly go to her verbal sense.

Then My second impression was that she was very kind, especially to the listeners. I was very much annoyed by some of the attendants attendees who just wanted to speak English and considered the place event as a place to practice English or just to be proud of how much they could speak English to non-English speakers. Some seemed to be fluent in English, but the contents they were speaking were saying nothing but their self-centered opinions. Every time they choose to speak spoke in English although there was a professional interpreter, they hindred the flow of the discussion was discouraged... I say they speak spoke bad English. They just pretended to be fluent, but the contents is just as same as as their opinions were that of high school students. The worst thing was they didn't explain in Japanese for other class mates....

So, the interpreter kindly interpreted the egoistic speeches to for those class mates. What I was most impressed with most was her benevolence to make this once-in-a-life event successful to for everybody. She did not say use any fillers or did not show any distress or anxiety. So, the teacher and workshop attendants could feel relaxed and enjoy the fresh encountering to a natural experience with each other. There are a few days left for the workshop and I will study hard!

{ がんばって! }