Jeff
蒙學漢文初階 第一百三課 Beginning Chinese - Entry Level Lesson #103 There are too many notes and commentaries to fit in is box. So they appear in the correction box. 周武王姬發 Chou martial king Chi Fa 代殷有天下 substitute Yin have heaven under 啓宗室箕子 start ancestor room winnowing_basket viscount 子胥餘罔為臣僕 viscount all/assist/store not become subject servant 東來朝鮮 east come morning freshness 國人推戴為君 country man push respect become ruler 箕子教禮義 winnowing_basket master teach ritual righteousness 設八條之教 established eight [classifier] of teachings 是為箕子朝鮮 have become winnow_basket master morning freshness. When King Wu of Chou replaced the Yin Dynasty, the main branch of the [defeated] family, the Viscount of Ji, Xuyu did not wish to become the subject and servant [to the new regime] that he went to Chosun. The people there endorsed him to become their ruler. He taught rituals and righteousness [to the people] and established the Eight Promulgations and he is known as the Viscount Ji of Chosun.

Notes:

Unless you know some of the history, many will be puzzled because the words make no sense as they are names of places and people.

1. King Wu defeated the tyrant of the Shang/Yin Dynasty and established the Chou Dynasty. Wu is the title. His clan name is 姬 and his name is 發.

2. 箕子 is a title. Some say 箕 is the name of the place and 子 is taken to mean viscount. However, modern research state that this is not correct. It is just a Shang tradition to combine it with the name of the place they ruled. 胥餘 is the name. Historically, he was one of the three righteous ministers of the Shang Dynasty and uncle of the last tyrant. He was imprisoned by his nephew for his remonstrations and set free by the new regime and was given lands to what is now known as Korea. In Korean, 箕子 is Gija and胥餘 is Seoyeo.

3. These were

a. capital punishment for killing (相殺,償殺)

b. grain compensation for injury (相傷, 償穀)

c. Those colluded in robbery, the men will turned into slaves and the women into maids.

To redeem oneself, one has to pay 50,000 pieces of copper. “相盜者,男沒入爲其家奴, 女子爲婢,欲自     贖者,人五十萬”。

d. The way of women being chaste and dependable. “婦人貞信”。

e. Being respectful of the domains of others. “重山川,山川各有部界,不得妄相幹涉”。Literally, "Be               respectful of the mountains and rivers. Each mountain and river has its boundaries, do not be             presumptuous and interfere"

f. Those violate and encroach the sovereignty of villages shall be at once punished and censured. Their    livestock, cows, horses will be forfeited as compensation. “邑落有相侵犯者,輒相罰,責生口、牛、馬,名    之爲‘責禍’”。

g. Intermarriage between those of the same last names is forbidden. “同姓不婚”。

h. Those died from infectious sickness, their homes be abandoned at once and new ones be                     constructed. “多所忌諱,疾病死亡,輒捐棄舊宅,更造新居”。