Hugo
Hello world! phrasal verbs are a mistery for spanish people... I've been learning English in a more or less intensive way for a lot of years. And once and again, I have to deal with the difficulty of learning the meaning of phrasal verbs. I have concluded that they can't be learnt by heart. Then, which is the optimal learning way? Any piece of advice? Thanks, folks.
Very interesting the webpage, Ed. Thanks.
www.memrise.com
Thanks a lot for your interesting advices, tips and tricks. :-)
Hello Hugo!! There are more than 6000 phrasal verbs in the English language and they all change depending on the city... :) Seems like a monstrous task doesn't it? It helps to think of them as a "secret code". You are a detective and you need to fit some in your speech. Don't be afraid of making mistakes! Talking to native speakers will help you learn common phrasals, as an internet search of "common phrasals" don't tell you which region they are spoken in, or how you would learn to form them. A tip for self study - go on a website like http://www.breakingnewsenglish.com and try to underline all the phrasals you see in the text. This will get your brain starting to think like a detective. :) Good luck!
Hugo, You are correct. they cannot be learnt by heart. You could learn to use them in context. That way you will understand their meaning. Why not book a trial session with me and I can introduce you to the wonderful world of phrasal verbs.