Mia
わたしのへや | Practicing my ある-vs-いる I made sure I used the non-fomal Japanese this time since I am not addressing anyone else but myself in this diary. Please see this little write up as a conversation with myself. (1) わたしのへやには何がある? (What I'm trying to say: What is there in my room? (inanimate object)) (2) えっと、ベッドと、パソコンと、ソファと、テレビと、それにほんがなもある。 (What I'm trying to say: Um, a bed, a computer, a sofa, a television, and also bookshelves.)** (3) でも、わたしのへやには何がいる? (What I'm trying to say: What is there in my room? (animate object)) (4) えとお、ときどきわたしのいぬがりる。マヤちゃんとハルリちゃんです。 (What I'm trying to say: Um, sometimes I have my dogs. They're Maya and Harley.)** Note: I am sure that "ほんがな" is better read in Kanji considering that が is an object particle. Sorry, I have yet to learn the Kanji for bookshelf/bookcase. **I know Japanese does not have plurals. I was purposely being vague as I have not yet learned how to specify how many of the same object I have. Same with the dogs. I purposely did not specify 2 dogs until I mentioned their names.

わたしのへや | Practicing my ある-vs-いる

(1) わたしのへやには何がある?
(What is there in my room? (inanimate object))

(2) えっと(or ええと…)、ベッドと、パソコンと、ソファと、テレビと、それにほんなもある。
(What I'm trying to say: Um, a bed, a computer, a sofa, a television, and also bookshelves.)**

(3) でも、わたしのへやには何がいる? (or 誰がいる? for person) 
(What (/Who) is there in my room? (animate object))

(4) え、ときどきわたしのいぬがる。マヤちゃんとハーレールリちゃんです

(*です is for the formal form.)

(Um, sometimes my dogs are in my room. They're Maya and Harley.)**

Note: I am sure that "ほんがな" is better read in Kanji considering that が is an object particle. Sorry, I have yet to learn the Kanji for bookshelf/bookcase.

--> book + shelf = ほん + たな, to say together, we have to change the pronunciation of たな, it's going to be ほんだな. It's sometimes needed in Japanese but not "always".

**I know Japanese does not have plurals. I was purposely being vague as I have not yet learned how to specify how many of the same object I have. Same with the dogs. I purposely did not specify 2 dogs until I mentioned their names.

--> in colloquial, we sometimes say いぬたち(dogs). By the way, the counter for dogs, for animals which aren't big, is ひき, so two dogs = にひきのいぬ. (this counter changes the pronunciation depending on the number. いっぴき(1)、にひき(2)、さんびき(3)… Please don't worry about it too much, you can also learn the Japanese counters step by step. 

Great job, Maria! Any question is welcome as always. I hope this helps you.