The Rude Member of the French Embassy Staff Some months ago I attended a conference at one of the facilities of the Alliance Française in Bogota about the French University system. The person who conducted the conference was a staff member of the French Embassy. He started the conference by saying "Colombian universities are poor quality,and Colombian professionals are mediocre. That's why you should study in France". For a start, I have to say that there are two Colombian universities ranked among the best 500 universities in the world. Plus, I think it's not nice to make such comments about the host country where you work. He continued the conference and said many things that I've been told are not true. For example, that French guy told the audience that the tuition at public French universities are free, and that the French government providesf foreign students with free accomodation and food. According to him, in conclussion studying in France was a better idea than studying in Colombia because Colombian universities are bad and it's "cheaper" to study in France (There is no way to compare the cost of living in France with that of Colombia). There are many naive people who believe that. As for me, I have made many French friends on the internet, and their parents have to make an effort to pay for their education. There's nothing free for them. So, I did not believe anything that guy said, because it makes no sense to think that the government of a country that is not your homeland will pay your studies and your expenses. I think these kind of conferences are just a gross way to sell French courses.

The Rude Member of the French Embassy Staff

Some months ago I attended a conference at one of the facilities of the Alliance Française in Bogota about the French University system. The person who conducted the conference was a staff member of the French Embassy. He started the conference by saying "Colombian universities are poor quality,and Colombian professionals are mediocre. That's why you should study in France". For a start, I have to say that there are two Colombian universities ranked among the best 500 universities in the world. Plus, I think it's not nice to make such comments about the host country where you work.
He continued the conference and said many things that I've been told are not true. For example, that French guy told the audience that the tuition at public French universities are free, and that the French government providesf foreign students with free accomodation and food. According to him, in conclussion studying in France was a better idea than studying in Colombia because Colombian universities are bad and it's "cheaper" to study in France (There is no way to compare the cost of living in France with that of Colombia). There are many naive people who believe that. As for me, I have made many French friends on the internet, and their parents have to make an effort to pay for their education. There's nothing free for them. So, I did not believe anything that guy said, because it makes no sense to think that the government of a country that is not your homeland will pay your studies and your expenses. I think these kind of conferences are just a gross way to sell French courses.

This is an excellent entry Camilo with almost no errors at all! Sounds like a very rude person. I am an Australia who recently moved to Spain and heard a person from the American embassy explain that Americans have so much to offer Spain because Spain just needs to adopt America's "entrepreneurial" model to solve their economic crisis and basically, Spain just needs to be more like America. I also thought that was very rude and offensive and ill-informed. 

I admire your notebook entries & I read them all the time. The French diplomat wasn't really diplomatic & he was rude. I don't mind someone being frank and honest with me, but I guess there must be a better way to talk to people than underestimate their abilities or disrespect them. Yet I want to tell you that many countries give scholarships to foreign students & they do cover all the expenses; It's part of cultural exchange, so at least try to make sure of this info you heard from him.