Celia
Dracula Here we have a literary excerpt that begins with an accurate description of the focused character: Count Dracula. At the beginning we doubt if this description is told by a narrator himself or if it’s a character’s speech. From the description one can conclude that Dracula is an elegant and clean man due to his clean shaven face; he is old, being a clear-cut that white mustache and his dark clothes, usually worn by the old. By the description we deduce the atmosphere of the place. Dracula holds an antique silver lamp, which tells us that the text is placed in the old epoch. It seems as if there were not noise in the hall, since the narrator focuses his attention in the lamp and its flames, so one can imagine it perfectly, even listen the sounds of the flame sparks. In addition to this noiseless scene, descriptions such as “he made no motion”, “like a statue” and “fixed into stone” “cold as ice” with a sense of motionless accompany this cold and frightening atmosphere. But this impression of motionless is broken with the unforeseeable impulses of Dracula like when he grasped the hand of the guest. By the way of treating the guest Dracula is a hospitable person, but he’s looking for a secret propose, since he puts emphasis the guest to enter the house. In the third paragraph the narrator is presented by Dracula’s words: Mr Harker. The fact that Dracula knows the name of this character seems to be that Dracula had invited him to his house, and this guest has come from a far place, or it is the castle of Dracula which is out of the way. And as a last information about the atmosphere, throughout they enter the castle, there is more darkness, due to Dracula has put the lamp on a wall, which makes a mistery and frightening scene.