Mumtaz
Community Tutor
Exercise About Internet Services: By Teacher Andi Back in 1997, the internet was a whole new world that is more like magic to me! I was that girl who is very much fond of writing letters & sending them through mail, and then eagerly wait for the reply in another written letter after a month or so. I miss those days a lot because I think no matter what good came from these new technologies; the 80s were simpler & more romantic. I started using the internet around 17 years ago & I used to check my e-mails in the university computer labs because I was still a law student and I didn't have any internet connection at home. Few years ago I had my first connection & it was through my phone company, but the internet wasn't fast & the service kept disconnecting, so I had to change the company to a specialized one in the internet services only. For few years now I've ADSL connection with the speed of 4 MB & 30 GB download every month. The speed is good & suitable for me; sometimes I smile when I hear someone saying that the speed of 10 MB is not that good enough But I guess I’m totally OK with what I've right now because I don’t use Skype video chats or any similar apps. Back in 2007, I saw diggings in the streets around the area where I live & when I asked why? They told me these streets workings are to put underground fiber optic cables for fast internet connection. Later on I heard that these cables didn't work well for some reason. So with the ADSL connection at home & 5 GB internet plan on my phone, I feel I’m connected all the time & that doesn't make me really happy, because being wired 24/7 is like being in chains, and I often ask myself why should I be connected to the internet always? I honestly don’t feel it brings happiness or joy, I don’t deny the benefits of internet though, but I would replace them all with one fine day from the 80s, when we had nothing but real books to read & 4 TV channels maximum to watch.
1

Exercise About Internet Services: By Teacher Andi

Back in 1997, the Internet (1) was a whole new world that is more like magic to me! I was that girl who is very much fond of writing letters & sending them through the mail, and then eagerly waiting for the reply in another written letter after a month or so. I miss those days a lot because I think no matter what good came from these new technologies, the 80s were simpler & more romantic. I started using the Internet around 17 years ago & I used to check my e-mails (2) in the university computer labs because I was still a law student and I didn't have an Internet connection at home. A few years ago I got my first connection & it was through my phone company, but the Internet wasn't fast & the service kept disconnecting. I had to change the company to a specialized one in the internet services only (3). For a few years now I've had an ADSL connection with a speed of 4 MB & 30 GB download every month. The speed is good & suitable for me; sometimes I smile when I hear someone saying that the speed of 10 MB is not that good enough But I guess I’m totally OK with what I've right now because I don’t use Skype video chats or any similar apps. Back in 2007, I saw excavations in the streets around the area where I live. When I asked why, they told me these streets workings are to lay underground fiber optic cables for fast Internet connection. Later on I heard that these cables didn't work well for some reason.
So with the ADSL connection at home & 5 GB internet plan on my phone, I feel I’m connected all the time & that doesn't make me really happy, because being wired 24/7 is like being in chains, and I often ask myself why should I be connected to the Internet always? I honestly don’t feel it brings happiness or joy, I don’t deny the benefits of Internet though, but I would replace them all with one fine day from the 80's, when we had nothing but real books to read & 4 TV channels maximum to watch.

(1) Use uppercase for Internet and World Wide Web.

(2) Most of the English-speaking world is using 'email' now, not 'e-mail'. It is not a rule yet, but many style guides prefer 'email' now.

(3) This sentence was rambling, so I broke it into two more focused sentences.

1

I too remember the old dial-up internet connections, and the day I got my first 56k modem felt like I'd won the lottery. These days, I have become a cyborg and have the Internet connected 24/7, and I don't miss the old slow days. I am eagerly awaiting the dawn of full virtual and augmented reality.

Back in 1997, the internet was a whole new world that is was more like magic to me! I was that girl who is was very much fond of writing letters & sending them through mail, and then eagerly waited for the reply in the form of ["in the form of" is a wonderful prepositional phrase that is worth remembering. Look online for a list of prepositional phrases to really get your brain excited :)] another written letter after a month or so. I miss those days a lot because I think no matter what the good that came from these new technologies; the 80s were simpler & more romantic.

I started using the internet around 17 years ago & I used to check my e-mails in the university computer labs because I was still a law student and I didn't have any internet connection at home. A few years ago I had got my first connection & it was through my phone company, but the internet wasn't fast & the service kept disconnecting, so I had to change the company to a specialized one in the that provided internet services only.

For a few years now I've had an ADSL connection with the speed of 4 MB & 30 GB download every month. The speed is good & suitable for me; sometimes I smile when I hear someone saying that the speed of 10 MB is not that good enough! But I guess I’m totally OK with what I've got right now because I don’t use Skype video chats or any similar apps.

Back in 2007, I saw diggings in the streets around the area where I live & when I asked why? They told me these streets workings are were to put in underground fiber optic cables for fast internet connections. Later on I heard that these cables didn't work well for some reason.
So with the ADSL connection at home & 5 GB internet plan on my phone, I feel I’m connected all the time & that doesn't make me really happy, because being wired 24/7 is like being living in chains [or "being chained"], and I often ask myself why I should always be connected to the internet always? I honestly don’t feel it brings happiness or joy, I don’t deny the benefits of internet though, but I would replace them all with one fine day from the 80s, when we had nothing but real books to read & 4 TV channels maximum to watch.