Brian
Nowadays, not enough students choose science subjects in university in many countries Nowadays, not enough students choose science subjects in university in many countries. What are the reasons for this problem? What are the effects on the society? Nowadays, it is observed that most students prefer to choose humanities or arts as their major subjects in the university rather than science subjects in many countries. In this essay, I will discuss both reasons and effects of such scenario as below. One of reasons is that fresh graduates, whose major subjects are science subjects, such as Chemistry or Physics, find that it is hard to find one satisfied job position in employment market. The first priority of them is to earn the money to cover their normal life expense, however, demands of talents for science industry are much less than any other industries. Hence, students tend to choose other subjects which are popular in job market, like economics or laws. Apart from that, science subjects are not as visual as other subjects, talents diving into these domains need to endure boring courses and be keen to conduct experiments in labs. Worse, it also requests talents to have powerful logistical skills, or even innate abilities to understand the complex definitions and knowledge, whereas such competent talents are much less. Due to the fact of said scenario, it could course potential negative impact on the society. Because technological advances stimulate social development, and in most situation, the former is benefit from scientific boom. In case of shortage of scientific talents, social development could not be promoted. For example, the battery is becoming the bottleneck of smart phone development, and only talents who are profession in Physics and Chemistry could break away the convention and bring technological innovations and breakthroughs of the battery, otherwise the current battery system would be the permanent nightmare of not only smart phone industry but also other electronic industries. In conclusion, I believe each country should figure out solutions to encourage more students to dive into science subjects so that it could benefit the whole society and people’s well-beings.