Aiko
To Be A Good Member of An Orchestra … Have you ever seen the performance of an orchestra? There are dozens, sometimes hundreds of people in an orchestra, so a performance of them can be impressive. You know they have great talent and have marvelous music skills, but do you know they have not only such skills but also special ability to perform in an orchestra? Actually, I was a member of an orchestra club when I was a high school student. Through the experience, I have noticed that a good instrument player is not always a good member of an orchestra, and that everybody in an orchestra have to be a good member to show good performance. To be a good member of an orchestra requires the ability of listening to the sounds around you, ability of communicating with other people and self-confidence in your music skills. First of all, listening to the sounds around you is one of the most important ability if you are a member of an orchestra. You have three points to pay attention about that. First, you need to listen to the sounds of musical interval (pitch/tone). The sounds from instruments are non-constant. They are influenced not only a condition of instruments but also weather, so we have to tune a instruments each other without implement. Therefore, if your sound is different from other member’s even if you emit an accurate sound, which is wrong. Moreover, you have to take care about the sounds of volume. Music that is played in an orchestra is composed by complicated overlapping of instruments. During music, some part you should play loudly, and others you should play the instrument modestly. The sounds of volume are defined relatively, so you listen to the sounds around you necessarily. And also, there are much kind of the sounds except tone and volume, for example, hardness, softness, sharpness and intensity, which are called as a whole the expression of the sounds. You should also play the instrument in that way as other members do.