Dora S
What is Halloween for? - 20141024 From what I know, it is a western festival. But in recent years, I've noticed many Chinese get involved. For instance, 4 years ago I saw a fake bloody hand at the metro station entrance, which looked a bit scary to me; last week I read from advertisement, saying that a bar nearby would like to hold an event on Oct 31, all people attending should dress up "as scary as possible"..... I don't understand the cultural reason for Chinese to do so. I think someone just intend to make fun from it, although I don't find anything funny. I feel more worried that people just follow the "trend" blindly.

What is Halloween for? - 20141024

From what I know, it is a western festival. But in recent years, I've noticed many Chinese get involved. For instance, 4 years ago I saw a fake bloody hand at the metro station entrance, which looked a bit scary to me; last week I read from advertisement, saying that a bar nearby would like to hold an event on Oct 31, all people attending should dress up "as scary as possible".....

I don't understand the cultural reason for Chinese to do so. I think someone just intend to make fun from it, although I don't find anything funny. I feel more worried that people just follow the "trend" blindly.

Well it is partly historical (European) and partly fun but mostly Commercial, Retail marketing!  China of course picks up on the commercial retail marketing aspects as an opportunity to SELL SELL SELL

Picked up all the Western festivals and forgot our own traditional festivals.