Social symbolysm I've read a scientific article, that deals with so called "social symbolysm". It said, that every culture has its own symbols. They are things, phenomenoa, customs, habits that has a special meaning. Here are some examples of the English social symbols, that were mentioned in the article: 1) A horseshoe - the symbol of luck 2) In England a beard and moustache are the symbols of slipshod manner. (???) 3) If one presents just one flower - it means that he is greedy 4) it is not considered proper to present personal things such as shampoo or soap. 5) Every fryday there are lots of people in pubs. 6) In Restaurant everyone pay for her or himself. 7) Drinking alcohol outdoors - is the symbol of bad manners. Now I'd like to ask you: Is it all truthful? Or it was truthful some time ago, but now doesn't exist? Should I believe the article, that I've read?
Hello Pavel. I'll answer from my own experience. 1) Horseshoes? Yes, certainly true - they're often nailed up on the ceiling beams of old buildings, such as cottages and pubs. 2) Beards etc.? That's a case of changing trends. Where I'm from at least, in my grandfather's generation it was very 'proper' to grow a moustache. In my father's generation, it was highly unusual for a man to grow a beard. Now? Facial hair is very popular in young men again, but attitudes to it vary. 3) Flowers? I haven't heard that one before. 4) Soap etc? It depends - among family it might make a 'normal' present, if it is special in some way. In general, though, I'd say that's more-or-less true. 5) Haha! Yes. Definitely. Like most other days though, really. 6) I'm not sure about this. Among co-workers, for example, I would say yes. My colleagues can happily argue for 45 minutes about who owes what, to the penny. However, among family or special occasions, generally no, people will often *offer* to pay, but not actually 'split the bill.' 7) Drinking outdoors around pubs is perfectly normal. Drinking 'on the street', however, has a very strong social 'stigma' attached to it.