Jeff
蒙學漢文初階 第一百三十二課 Beginning Chinese - Entry Level Lesson #132 兄弟二人 older_brother younger_brother two people 自學堂歸 from study hall return 兄於途中 older_brother from journey inside 買一梨 buy one pear 弟索食 younger_brother demand/ask/to_exact eat 不與 not with 弟告其父 younger_brother tell his father 父曰 father said 兄長弟幼 older_brother older younger_brother younger 兄當愛弟 older_brother ought love younger_brother 遂取梨 then took pear 各半分之 each half share it Brothers two, returning from the study hall. On the way back, the older brother bought a pear. The younger one asked for it to eat [but] was refused. The younger boy complained to their father. The father said, "The older ought to love the younger." Then [he took] the pear and divided half for each one. Note: In the old days, a study hall is a private school where students studied together. For the rich, a private tutor would be hired to teach the sons in their own home. However, from the context, we know that this is not the case.
Thanks for the tip! If you give me your full name, I will put your credit on the page as well :)
孔融让梨