Gisele
Seeing a movie Yesterday, I saw a movie called “The Giver” which is played by a famous actress: Meryl Streep. In this story, people create a community without color to avoid any discrimination caused by our skin color. People who live in the community have enough food or other things in need to survive. They don’t feel envious to other people. There’s no desire, no competition and no war. However, they can’t choose their career, they don’t know who are their real parents and even can’t feel any emotion. In a word, they don’t know what love is. If you can choose, which world do you want to live? Stay in a stable one or break the rules and having a chance to know about love?
Thank you for sharing your ideas with me! I really do want to live in a world without discrimination. However, I can’t stand to be controlled. I’m lucky that I grew up in a democracy country. No matter man or woman, almost everyone has an opportunity to be educated. We are free to contact any information, to choose our own religion and live in our personal style. Maybe that’s why we need freedom. Because of the same right, when we can choose what we want, we also start to learn how to respect other people.
Of course the latter , although there is something unsatisfactory. Life is not perfect. there're defects more or less in ereryone's life. Because of these defects, we could have a colorcul day. We improving ourselves and closer to perfection day by day. Because of status we want to change, we have desires and hopeful about the future. I reviewed The Shawshank Redemption tonight. The protagonist, Andy said 'hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.' I really agree with this word.
Of course the world in the story The Giver is not a perfect one. I have not seen the movie but I have read the book,and I have even taught this book to my students of English in the class.I think that the writer wants to show us that Jonas' world is a terrible one with no freedom,and only control.If you have no choices you have no freedom.I don't think most people want to live in a world with no colour,no emotions and worst of all,no love.What do you think?