Dora S
The English names of Chinese. 2014 10 31 I have been wondering what “a proper English name” means. Recently I knew a girl called “Kitty” from work, but I can not start a conversation with “Hello, Kitty”. Even if Hello Kitty is cute. The next day someone introduced me a supplier called “Strong”, I tried to imagine what if he told others:“hi, I am Strong”. Then I found him look short and weak. Of course, this is only my random and funny thinking. When I was in university, the teacher felt headache that we named ourselves “strangely and not professionally” as Purple, Fish, Windy…..or even Sunny in some degree (ok, it is my English name.) According to a research, most “Sunny” are from China and Korea. Because we love this word, which means being warm, sweet and positive. But to native speakers, does an adjective word sound strange as a name?

The English names of chosen by/given to Chinese. 2014 10 31

I have been wondering what “a proper English name” means.

Recently I knew came to know <em>(recently is for a point in time, knowing is a continuing state so cannot use recently/know together)</em> a girl called “Kitty” from through/at work, but I found I cannot say hello to her because I can not start a conversation with “Hello, Kitty”. Even if 'Hello Kitty' is cute.

The very next day after I had met Kitty, someone introduced me to a supplier called “Strong”; I tried to imagine what if he told introduced himself to others: “hi,I am Strong”. Then In fact I found him look short and weak.

Of course, this is only my random and funny thinking.

When I was in university, the teacher felt said it was a headache that we named ourselves “strangely and not professionally” as with name such as Purple, Fish, Windy…..or even Sunny in some degree (ok, it is my English name.)

According to a research, most people named Sunny are from China and Korea - it is because we love this word, which means being warm, sweet and positive. But to native speakers, does an adjective word sound strange as a name? (how about Delicious or Delectible or Cranky as names? - Consider my Chinese name! 老鬼)

Hello Kitty and I am strong, lol. It's really very funny, thanks for sharing it.