Chorong Baek
Being fluent at English I have a question. Am i able to be fluent at English only in Korea? My answer was 'No'. When i was young, i thought i can not be fluent at English unless i have ever lived in the coutries where the language is spoken. Yes, it may be true. Many Korean parents choose for their children to learn English in English-spoken countries although it costs a lot, bacause it gives them more opportunities to talk to native speakers and makes them practice their English all day long. It helps them to quickly become almost like a native speaker. I know well, but my answer is changed now bacause of one of my friends. I met him about 3 years ago. He can speak English, Chinese, Japanese and Korean. Oneday, I asked him how he could speak 4 languages so well, and i guessed he must have ever lived in the countries where the languages are spoken. However, he had never been abroad! He gave me food for thought. Now i think i can learn any languages and enoughly be fluent at them without living abroad. Do you agree with me? Can i be like my friend? The proof is in the pudding, but i am sure i can!

Being fluent at English

I have a question. Am i able to be fluent at English without having ever lived in an English speaking country? only in Korea? My answer was 'No'. When i was young, i thought i can not couldn't (could not) be fluent at English unless i have ever lived in the coutries a country where the language is spoken. 

( *could* is often used as the past form tense of *can*, and since you say "When I was young", you are talking in the past tense where using could makes more sense here.

Yes, it may be true. Many Korean parents choose for their children to learn English in English-spoken countries, although it costs a lot, bacause because it gives them more opportunities to talk to native speakers and makes them forces them to (although makes them makes sense, forces them to sounds a lot more natural)  practice their English all day long. It helps them to quickly become almost like a native speaker. I know well I thought this was a fact, but my answer is has changed now bacause because of one of my friends. I met him about 3 years ago. He can speak English, Chinese, Japanese and Korean. Oneday, I asked him how he could speak 4 languages so well, and i I guessed he must have ever lived abroad in the countries where the languages are spoken. However, he had never been abroad! He gave me food for thought. Now i think i can learn any language and enoughly be fluent at them without living abroad. Do you agree with me? Can I be like my friend? The proof is in the pudding, but i am sure i can!

While I believe that you can learn any language on a functional level as well as a native without living there, I think it is impossible to become fluent. By fluent, I mean that you can talk about whatever you want without having to pause and remember words etc. However, that just means that if you want to be able to speak fluently, try your hardest to go live in an English speaking country at some point during your learning. I completely understand your point of view, seeing as I have been learning Korean  while working in Japan and the US. Anyways good luck.