Antonio
Turing Test The reading passage talks about the Turing test which is an experiment to determine whether a computer thinks or not. The test has to do with an interaction between a person and something through a computer. The person has to make questions either by a microphone or typing. When he receives the answers to his questions he should determine if he was talking with a computer or with a human. The professor contends that the test is somewhat absurd from a pragmatic point of view, because it is based in behaviors rather than thoughts. He supports this idea saying that if an English speaker receives a question in Chinese language, He won't obviously be able to answer it. However, if he has a complete reference about the sequence of the Chinese language, he could break the code answering with a sequence of Chinese characters that could be expected in response to that question. Finally the professor claims that any computer can seem intelligent as long as they are designed to answer what you want to hear or at least what you expect to hear.

Turing Test

The reading passage talks about the Turing test which is an experiment to determine whether a computer thinks or not. The test has to do with an interaction between a person and a machine. The person has to ask questions either with a microphone or by typing. When he receives the answers to his questions he must determine if he was talking with a computer or with a human.

The professor contends that the test is somewhat absurd from a pragmatic point of view, because it is based in behaviors rather than thoughts. He supports this idea by saying that if an English speaker receives a question in the Chinese language, he obviously won't be able to answer it.  However, if he has a complete reference about the sequence of the Chinese language, he could break the code by answering with a sequence of Chinese characters that could be expected in response to that question.  Finally, the professor claims that any computer can seem intelligent as long as they are designed to answer what you want to hear, or at least what you expect to hear.