Irene
Agree or disagree: Most advertisements make the products seem much better than what they really are. With ever-increasing needs of non-essentials, an assortment of brands are established mushrooming and only by popping up with innovative ideas and appealing advertisement would merchants catch consumer’s eyes. Therefore, I agree with the statement that most advertisements make the products seem much better than what they really are. More reasons and detail will be elaborated in the following paragraphs. To begin with, in order to convince consumers to purchase their product, manufacturers often exaggerate the effect of their products. For example, the advertisements of certain lotion emphasize their anti-aging effect by comparing the same person three weeks ago and three weeks after using the lotion. “Everyone says I look ten years younger!” says the slogan. A lot of people were allured by the magical anti-aging advertisement but ended up with disappointment because the effect was minimal. Next to go would be, some manufactures may associate their products with positive feelings. For instance, a brand of sports product, Nike, use the slogan “Just do it” for correlation between their product and breaking records in sport-field. The advertisement often tell an inspiring story about how an athlete broke through their limit, and imperceptibly, people would connect the positive feelings with the product. Last but not least, manufactures often hire authorities of the field to represent and assure their products. Take toothpaste advertisement for example, there is always a dentist explaining the special ingredient in the toothpaste which can keep your teeth from cavities and a fresh breathe. However, most of us don’t understand the ingredient the toothpaste is added, we just simply trust the dentist’s guarantee. In a nutshell, partly because of the exaggeration of the product’s effect, partly because of the association with positive feelings, and partly because of authorities’ representation, I agree that most advertisements make the products seem much better than what they really are.
I do agree with you Irene .