Jeff
蒙學漢文初階 第十課 Beginning Chinese - Entry Level Lesson #150 一兒抱小犬 one child carried small dog 戲剪其耳 playfully cut its ear 犬狂叫 dog madly howled 兄聞之 elder_brother heard it 持剪向兒曰 hold scissors towards child said, 犬無能為子侮 dog no ability for you humiliate/ridicule/insult 子無能 you no ability 卽侮於人 thus humiliate from man 請以子耳誡之 please with you ear admonish/warning it 兒大悔悟 child big regret comprehend One child was carrying a dog. Playfully he cut its ears. The dog howled. When the elder brother heard it, he held the scissors towards the child and said, "The dog has no ability and so was ridiculed by you. Since you have no ability, you shall be [likewise] be humiliated by others. Please let your ears be the warning." The child [then] regretted/repented through [this] enlightenment/understanding.
I did not write these stuff. They are from a Korean book written in Imperial Korea for Koreans learning Classical Chinese. I am translating them into English. The introduction in the first chapter had explained what my personal current project is. I do know what is modern spoken Mandarin and what is Literary Chinese :) As in all languages, what is written in essays is not the same as what is spoken.
你写的是中国的古文,不是白话文。白话文是指我们我们现在说的普通话。
我只看过西遊記, 对其他三本沒有兴趣. 不过很西遊記的地方有很多都不明白, 要看英文版来解釋, 例如,木魚, 两儀四象. 現在很容易在网上查. 是的, 很多人以為我是香港或台湾出世的 :)
那您看过原版的四大名著吗? 软体工程? 哦,北京叫软件工程。 感觉您是台湾人,还是不敢相信您是美国人。
专业是軟体工程 :) 只是對中国神話有兴, 所以要学中文看元版. 因此也对翻譯有趣.