Manuela
World water consumption The two charts show the water use in different part of the world in 2000. The first indicates that almost three-quarters of water consumption (70%) was for agriculture, while 22% was used for industry and only 8% for domestic purposes. It seems that the large amount of water used for agriculture was mainly due to countries where agriculture played a key role in their economic development. In fact if we observe the bar chart, we can see that in countries like China and India, agricultural accounted for 69% and 92% respectively, of the all water consumption. On the contrary, in countries where industry was one of the main activities, the water use trend went in the opposite direction. This is the case of Canada, where 80% of the all water was used for industry and only 8% was used for agriculture purposes. On the other hand, New Zealand used water in almost equal proportions for agriculture and domestic use, 44% and 46%, respectively, and 10% was consumed by industry. Overall, the data show that water use in the two developing coutries is closer to the world patterns of consumption.