Hanson90
Humanities courses , Pro or Against? Humanities Courses, Pro or Against? When a prestigious university in China made it a rule that her undergraduates of science and engineering needed to obtain at least 8 credits in humanities courses, such as history, literature and philosophy, it soon became a hot-debated topic on the Internet. Opinions differed from person to person. A small number of netizens challenged its necessity and argued that every undergraduate should be given the freedom in their own choice of courses. The majority, however, thought it a wise move and appreciated it. The latter is the appropriate response. To start with, humanities play an important role in fostering and shaping our humanity spirit and humanity concern. Humanity spirit and humanity concern are to be cultivated in an atmosphere of humanities. People, usually exposed to humanities, are most likely to foster humanity spirit. From a social perspective, their significance cannot be too much emphasized. Look at those people who have suffered from catastrophic natural disasters, such as violent earthquake in Sichuan China and devastating tsunami in Japan. Look at those people who are extremely impoverished and subject to starvation and malnutrition. Look at those people who are living in war-shattered countries and those who are AIDS-afflicted. The vulnerable groups badly need the alms and relief from all walks of life. Statistics have shown that a massive number of volunteers who offered their aid to the people in earthquake-stricken areas have received humanities education. Thus the chances to deliver humanitarian assistance to them by the individuals who have been reared in and taught the humanities courses will enhance, which, in turn, will do the society as a whole a good turn.