Benoît
Matanda ako. Anong hinahanap mo? Hinahanap ko po ng aking salamin samata! Sa iyong ilong ang salamin samata mo!! Talaga? Diyos ko po, matanda na ako ngayon!
Dec 7, 2014 9:03 AM
2

Matanda ako.  = I am old.

Matanda na ako. = I am already old.

Matanda na talaga ako. = I am already really old.  (In the context of the succeeding texts, this may be the more correct title.)

(In pronouncing the last 2 sentences, the “ako” may be pronounced as just “ko” and at times may even be written as “ ‘ko” , i.e., omitting the “a”.  This is because the “a” ending of the “na” and the “talaga” would already compensate for the succeeding “a” sound.)

Anong hinahanap mo? -  (John’s explanation about “anong” is correct.  You may also see this written at times as “ano’ng”.)

Hinahanap ko po ng aking salamin samata! –> Hinahanap ko (po) ang aking salamin sa mata!”

–   Having “po” would depend on who asked the question.  If it was a peer, then there should be no “po” in the response.  If it so happened that the one who asked was a younger person and should have used “po” in his/her question, adding “po” in the response would be a sarcastic reminder to the younger person to be polite.

–   “Salamin” is the word for “mirror” and would take that meaning when used independently of context.  When “sa mata” (to/for the eye) is added to it, then it means “eyeglasses”.  In addition, “ang AKING salamin sa mata” may also be stated as “ang salamin KO sa mata.”     

Sa iyong ilong ang salamin samata mo!! -> Nasa iyong ilong ang salamin mo!!  = Nasa ilong mo ang iyong salamin!!

-   “Sa” is “to”;  “nasa” is “in/on”

-   “Sa mata” may already be omitted here because the object was already made known in the preceding response - similar to the explanation that John gave.

-   Though you may either use “mo” or “iyong” twice in the sentence, it would sound better if the repetition is avoided.

Talaga? Diyos ko po, matanda na ako ngayon! – This is OK, but as John said, “talaga” in place of “ngayon” would be the much better word to use.  To use “ngayon” is like saying, I am already old today, but not yet as of yesterday.

-  If you are to use “talaga”, you may need to remove or replace the first “talaga?” with something else to avoid the repetition.  You may say, “Ha?”, which is like saying “Huh?” or “What?” or even “Really?”.

-  Also, I would most likely not have the “po” in there, if I were to say it.  “Diyos ko” would be sufficient to mean “oh, my god” as an ordinary expression.  “Diyos ko po” would be more appropriate for shocking situations, e.g., if the eyeglasses costing €500 accidentally fell from the nose to the floor.  :-)

“Ha?  Diyos ko, matanda na talaga ako/’ko.” – This would be the more natural way to say it.  The last part may also be stated as, “... matanda na ako/’ko talaga” or “...talagang matanda na ako/’ko”.   

Matanda na ako.

Ano_ang hinahanap mo?

<em>This is how you would write it properly. However, when speaking, think of liaison in French. "Ano ang" will be pronounced as you wrote it originally [Anong].</em>

<em>
</em>

Hinahanap ko po ang aking salamin sa_mata!

<em>Again, it should be written as "sa mata" but pronounced as [samata].</em>

Sa Nasa iyong ilong ang salamin samata mo!!

<em>You can omit "sa mata" because of the context of your conversation.</em>

Talaga? Diyos ko po, matanda na ako ngayon talaga!

<em>"Ngayon" is correct but "talaga" will be more appropriate. It is like saying "Oh my God, I am old now (ngayon)" vs. "Oh my God, I am really old!"</em>