Juliane
An essay about a film ! Hi, thank you for you correction. If you have some texts in French I can have a look. The Day the Earth Stood Still is a science-fiction film released in 1951 by Robert Wise. To sum up the story, it can be told that one day, a humanoid alien lands in Washington and claims he that he has a message to pass on to Earth's leaders, but he wants to address them all together. After a lot of events, Klaatu can pass his message to the leaders : he tells that humanity's brutal nature has caused problems on other worlds. He also warns that humanity risks bringing destruction upon itself. He concludes by this sentence « the decision rests with you ». He eventually enters the spaceship and departs, leaving the humans thinking about their choices and their nature. This essay will show in what extend The Day the Earth Stood Still effects the world. In a first part, the impact of the film in its time will be evocated, in a second part the impact in the cinema will be studied and at last the impact of the film nowadays will be mentionned. The film had a big impact in its time. Indeed, it was released during the Cold War. It perfectly fits with its era : indeed, this film is a bearer of peace, and teaches to not be afraid of people we don't know. In fact, the aliens are a metaphor for the sovietics and the communists paranoia. In the film, a woman doesn't want to believe that Klaatu comes from Mars. She says that he comes from Earth... and more precisely from Russia. She thinks that Klaatu is a Russian spy. « If you want my opinion, he comes from right here from Earth. You know what I mean. » That shows that American people could see a diabolical threat everywhere, as soon as they saw a stranger. The idea of paranoia is put forward. The Day the Earth Stood Still also reflects a strong confidence towards science : it grew up in the 50's but nobody really thought it could be used on a pacific way. People went out of a war... to them, the nuclear energy was only used to make bombs. Nonetheless in the film, Klaatu alludes to this nuclear energy and tells that it could be used as a fuel to drive its own ship. Moreover, the film was selected in 1995 for the preservation in the United States National Film Registery as « culturally, historically or aesthetically significant » : it shows that it had a big impact and that it is still the case nowadays.

An essay about a film[no space before punctuation marks]

Hi, thank you for your corrections. If you have some texts in French I can have a look.

<em>The Day the Earth Stood Still [italics</em> or quotation marks " " for movie titles. Italki doesn't let you use the italics for your entry, so use quotes.] is a science-fiction film released in 1951 by Robert Wise.
To sum up the story, it can be told that one day,  [redundant] a humanoid alien lands in Washington and claims he that he has a message to pass on to Earth's leaders, but he wants to address them all together. After a lot of events, Klaatu can passes his message to the leaders: he tells them that humanity's brutal nature has caused problems on other worlds. He also warns that humanity risks bringing destruction upon itself. He concludes by with this sentence: "The decision rests with you." [I know, the French punctuation conventions are different.] He eventually enters the spaceship and departs, leaving the humans thinking about their choices and their nature.
This essay will show in to what extent <em>The Day the Earth Stood Still</em> affects the world. In a the first part, the impact of the film in its time will be illustrated, evocated, in a the second part the impact on the cinema will be studied, and at last finally the impact of the film nowadays will be mentionned.

The film had a big impact in its time. Indeed, it was released during the Cold War. It perfectly fits with its era: indeed, this film is a bearer message of peace, and it teaches us to not be afraid of people we don't know. In fact, the aliens are a metaphor for the Soviets and for the communists paranoia of the time. In the film, a woman doesn't want to believe that Klaatu comes from Mars. She says that he comes from Earth... and more precisely from Russia. She thinks that Klaatu is a Russian spy. "If you want my opinion, he comes from right here from Earth. You know what I mean." That shows that the American people could see a diabolical threat everywhere, as soon as they saw a stranger. The idea of paranoia [xenophobia] is put forward.
<em>The Day the Earth Stood Still</em> also reflects a strong confidence towards in atomic science: it grew up in the was being developed in the 50's but nobody then really thought it could be used in a peaceful way. People were tired of went out of a war... to them, the nuclear energy was only used to make bombs. Nonetheless in the film, Klaatu alludes to this nuclear energy and tells them that it could be used as a fuel to drive his own ship. Moreover, the film was selected in 1995 for the preservation in the United States National Film Registery as "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant." It shows that it had a big impact, and that it is still the case today.nowadays.

Very good review. All I can say is <em>Klaatu barada nikto!</em>