Laurence(何安傑)
My Resolutions for Next Year I dropped out of university just before the end of last term - I used to study music at a conservatoire in London; such a degree is often done when the person is looking to become a professional musician and/or teacher in the future. I decided at some point during my first year that I didn't want to become a musician, but thought that I'd just stick it out anyway; I had worked so hard in order to get into such an institution and it would be letting everyone down, including myself, if I was to just give up. After much deliberation, I realised that there was no point fighting against myself. Hence my quitting. Recently, I have become hugely passionate about languages, and now know that this is the field of study I wish to pursue. I am currently in the process of apply to university to study a degree in Mandarin Chinese and Business, but I'm not certain that I'll get a place. I hope I do, though. I have also decided that I want to become a polyglot; I genuinely believe that if I go to university to do a different degree (with one of the components being Chinese), I could also teach myself another thereby, perhaps even two. At present, I plan on learning Dutch, Chinese, German, Japanese and perhaps a few others, but those are the ones I wish to master first. I know I can achieve this, and I am already excited to find out what this journey will hold for me. You could achieve it too - all if it takes is hard work, persistence and a positive attitude. And that's coming from a pessimist! So if I can do it, so can you. Dream big, not small, for, after all, who ever said that you can't achieve your dreams. I'm striving for mine, and I don't care if I die trying - I would have, at least, tried. I wish all of you who are reading this a very merry Christmas indeed.
Dec 24, 2014 11:05 PM
Good luck Laurence!
Just on my own, but I believe I am making progress. :)
Yes,it's cool!But my reason is that Cantonese is hard to understand for me,because I'm a northerner.Mark your words,but you didn't say the time limit xD In China,there is a saying that "学日语是笑着进去,哭着出来。"to prove Janpanese is difficult: D How do you learn Chinese now?
I also think Cantonese sounds super cool. Moreover, I went to a high school that had many foreign students, especially from Hong Kong - so I have many friends to whom I could speak Cantonese if I was able to haha. Japanese? Knowing the Characters makes it easier, but the grammar will be particularly tough. I will do it though, mark my words! And yes, of course. Merry Christmas! :D
Haha,you did much work on it..Exactly,it's easy to learn Cantonese if you master Mandarin Chinese.But Japanese..I don't know, we have many same characters,but they are not a same language family. Merry Christmas!